appreciation

a/n: idk about you, but words of affirmation make me swoon big time, so there might be a lot of that sprinkled in my writing :)

I'd been daydreaming about Friday for the entire week, and it was finally here. 

I packed a duffle bag of toiletries and clothing and wondered what c/n was thinking about, then sat around for a good 45 minutes mentally preparing myself for any possible scenario that could play out. At 4 pm, the sound of a car pulling up in front of my house made me spring to my feet. I ran to the window and peeked out. He honked twice and waved. 

C/n had invited me to go camping with his sibling and their s/o. If he'd been anyone else, my parents would have encouraged me not to go, nervous about leaving me with a man in the wilderness. But c/n had won over my parents' hearts pretty quickly with jokes, manners, and overall kindness, and they trusted both of us enough to let us go. 

We were still in the "honeymoon phase" of the whole dating thing, so camping provided us with a bit of bonding and, well...privacy. Saying I was excited would have been an understatement. 

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

I tossed my duffle bag into the backseat and climbed into the front, then buckled my seatbelt and shot him a thumbs up. He shifted the gear into drive. I watched him as he pulled into the street, as he pulled onto the highway, as he pulled into the gas station. He was a bit tense, and kept glancing at me when he thought I wasn't looking. The car ride was uncomfortably quiet, and I began to wonder if I'd done something wrong. 

He pulled into the campground parking lot, back tense and straight. We sat in silence for a moment, the car parked, the wilderness stunningly beautiful. 

"Did I do something wrong?" I finally asked, placing a hand on his thigh. His jaw clenched.

"No. It's me." He replied, sandwiching my hand between his, lifting it from his thigh. "I haven't been completely honest with you." 

His confession sent a shiver down my spine. Sure, I was new to love and being loved, but I'd seen enough HBO shows to know that this wasn't good. I pulled my hand from between his and stared at him expectantly. I had to hold the tears until he explained the whole situation. 

He couldn't even maintain eye contact. His eyes darted sideways, then up, then in the other direction. "Look, y/n... I really, really, really like you. I've been thinking about, like, a future with you. And stuff." He looked up briefly and met my eyes, then stared at his hands again. "And I want to spend more time together. I want to spend all of my time with you, but I know that's too much to ask. So I think more is a good place to start."

I chuckled and he relaxed a bit, his shoulders rolling back. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that I... love you?"

He looked up, nervous and blushing. Butterflies flooded my stomach, and I let a beam take over my face. "I...love you too?" I managed, laughing a bit. 

"Okay, thank GOD. I was nervous as fuck," he laughed. "I've never felt like this before about anyone. It's weird. Good weird. And better now that you've reciprocated my feelings."

He tapped his lips, asking politely for a kiss. I pecked his lips and he immediately opened the door and swung his legs out of the car, back to his usual self. 

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

C/n's sibling and their s/o went for a night walk, leaving c/n and I in front of the fading bonfire. It was getting chilly, so we were wrapped in his sleeping bag, using it like a blanket. I split the last marshmallow in half and handed half to him. I felt his adam's apple moves against the top of my head when he swallowed.

"Y/n?" he said suddenly, his voice quiet and pensive. I hummed in response, feeling a bit tired. 

"You're so perfect." he said curtly, burying his face in my hair.

"And beautiful. Even when you're sweaty, and tired, and grumpy, I have to stop to appreciate that pretty face of yours." He planted a kiss to the top of my right ear. "See? I even love your ear."

"I-" I began, trying to muster some dignified response. 

"No, don't respond yet. Don't respond at all. I'm not done." He traced shapes on my arm. "You smell good, and I love the way you look when you run from the shower to your room. I love feeling your breath on my chest and hearing your stomach noises at night. And I love the way you fit under my arm like this." He sighed into the cold air, his breath creating a little steamy cloud. "I like trying to explain soccer to you, and feeling your admiring stare when I parallel park super well. And I love your arm hair and your ponch and your uneven toes."

He rested his face in the crook of my neck and whispered, "I'm going to marry you one day. And I can't wait."

My face burned, and my stomach flip flopped. He placed a wet kiss to my neck. The fire crackled, and he hugged me tighter.

a/n: kinda short and bad but I tried