08

SAMUEL O'CONNELL

i'm in a bad mood as always. it's a wednesday and i have detention with her.

i feel bad for yesterday and i really do regret saying those things to her. i should've comforted her, it's not even a friend thing to do, it's the bare minimum.

i can't even fucking do that.

i feel like shit. i feel like i could've stopped something. i feel like i could've done something that any decent fucking human would do.

after yesterday, i don't know. i saw her, i saw her dad, i saw them. i saw what he was doing to her. i saw and i wish i didn't but i did and i can't get the image out of my head.

the image of her perfect little father beating his perfect little daughter in their perfect little home.

i walk in the school hallways all my friends are hanging out on cecilias locker. it's been our morning hang out spot for as long as i've stopped being friends with cecilia.

"hey sam." they all say and i nod. i'm not bothered talking. i feel sick to my stomach.

a familiar, blonde comes and hugs me and all i can hear is her squeaky voice. "sammyyyy!!! why didn't you come over my house yesterday?"

i roll my eyes. she's so fucking clingy and annoying. "i wasn't in the mood."

"mood for what?" she smirks and starts playing with the hem of my shorts. i flinch and push her off slightly.

"fuck off." i mutter and start talking with my friends.

then a few minutes later cecilia pushes my friend, nathan, off her locker. "move."

"what the fuck?!" he snaps. "don't fucking lay hands on me."

everyone is wide eyed. she's changed.

"awww did i hurt your feelings?" she fake pouts as she shoves through her locker trying to find something. "don't fucking hang out near my locker maybe?"

for fuck sake. i can't help but notice her busted lip, i wouldn't have noticed it if i hadn't seen her father do that. i know he punched her in her eye but she's done a good job in hiding it.

i don't dare say anything to her. what am i supposed to say?

i open my mouth to say something but she slams her locker and shoves through our big group without anyone saying anything else.

she didn't even look at me.

***

FUCK.

it's last period and all i can think about is cecilia.

cecilia. cecilia. cecilia.

she hasn't left my mind and i'm getting agitated. to make matters worse, she's sitting right in front of me with her friend gianna, she's been laughing, smiling and fuck i can't help but look at how beautiful her hair is, how soft and thin and wavy her brown locks are neatly pushed behind her ear.

when she's talking about something she's really passionate about, she looks breathtaking. she's not beautiful or anything, or pretty, or gorgeous... she's just cecilia.

"mr o'connell." my teacher calls and everyone looks at me. everyone but cecilia. it's like i'm a ducking ghost to her.

i don't understand that about the school system, or in general, when someone calls your name, why is it anyone's business to just stare at you suddenly, or when you enter a class and everyone turns their head. like fuck off and mind your business.

"yes." i say clearly frustrated. "what do you want?"

"would you like to do this question?" she tells me as my eyes are still glued to the back of cecilias head.

"no."

"i think you're going to do this question." she comments and i ignore her and keep staring at cecilia. i know cecilia knows i'm staring. "i'm waiting,"

"keep waiting." i mutter and stop my daydream.

"than you can leave this classroom." she offers.

i laugh coldly to myself, grab my things and walk out the class.

i don't even know where i am supposed to go. my moms at work, my dads at work and my younger siblings are at school. fuck it, it's last period anyway.

i go home anyway and i enter. not a sound. i put my bag down and hear a loud thump coming from upstairs. the fuck?

i open the cabinet under the sink and grab the killing bat. of course we don't kill people with it, my mom just makes it clear to her children that if something doesn't sit right, grab the killing bat.

we should get a new name.

i grab it and slowly walk up the stairs terrified. i hear another bump. it's coming from my parents room. shit!

son of a bitch whoever it is, probably trying to go through my dads belongings which has money, jewellery and other important heirlooms.

i take a deep breath and burst in the room expecting to see a burglar going through my parents' nightstands or something like that.

but what i see is the last thing i would've expected to see.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!"