24

SAMUEL O'CONNELL

"so you told them?" i ask a final time. i've been asking her the whole car ride, and we're still driving.

"yes, samuel." she laughs slightly as she sniffles. she's just now recovered from crying and her face is all puffy and red, it's kinda cute actually.

stop.

"so uhhh, where am i gonna sleep exactly?"

"my house." i answer her as i make a turn. "have you eaten anything?"

she pauses and then shakes her head. it's dark but i can still see her from the corner of my eye.

"well let's go eat then."

"samuel, no. it's all good."

i ignore her and drive to a small diner.

i park the car and we walk in. "thank you."

we take a seat at a booth and flick through menus. there's a really awkward silence until suddenly i break it.

"so uhh, do you want to get your clothes?" i ask her and she looks up, "from your home."

"it's not my home anymore, it just a house." she corrects me, "yeah we can get an outfit."

"why an outfit? just get your whole closet." i offer and she looks up at me confused.

"samuel no." she says. "i don't want to be a burden."

"what?! when the fuck did i say you'll be a burden?!" i half yell a bit harshly and she flinches. i soften my face and press my fingers on my temples. "i'm sorry."

"i'll get one outfit. i'll find a place to stay by tomorrow."

"you can stay the week." i tell her, "you've never been a burden."

she scoffs. the waiter comes and she smiles at him friendly, he just rolls his eyes.

"what can i get you?" he asks bored.

i'm staring at him dead in the eyes. she just smiled why the fuck did he roll his eyes.

"can i please get a cheeseburger and a sweet tea." she orders and then looks at me.

i shake my head. i don't want anything.

the guy writes it down and leaves. i'm sick of his attitude.

i grab him by his collar and stand up. "it's not fuckin' hard to smile back."

the guys expression turned from bitchy to scared. good.

"i- uh-" he stutters and turns to cecilia and then smiles. i push him and he walks to the kitchen.

i sit back down.

"samuel." she warns, "that wasn't necessary."

"yes it was, the motherfucker needed to be taught a lesson."