17

CECILIA ADAMS

"thank you." i tell him again as he opens the front door to his house. "i really do appreciate it."

i've thanked him every minute that has gone past as we are walking to his house. his mom is out doing late night shifts, his younger siblings' babysitter just left the house and now.

his sister, emery, is in 8th grade and i haven't spoken to her since me and samuel were in 10, until my life went down hill. until my mom deceased, until my father became a raging alcoholic and my best friend ghosted me and became my worst enemy.

we walk into the living room where nate is asleep, ive really only smiles at nate, i've never had a conversation with him. he wasn't even alive when me and sam were friends.

"hey sammy-" emery greets and pauses when she sees me. "cece?"

i smile and bite my lip a little as i'm embarrassed. "hey emery."

she smiles and runs up to hug me. "you and sammy are friends again?"

me and samuel look at each other and quickly turn away. "uhhh, no."

i turn to samuel again and he looks like he's panicking, "she's uhh- she's..." he looks around probably looking for an explanation, "she's the new babysitter."

what.

the.

fuck?!

"really?!" emery squeals excitedly. "we're gonna have so much fun! even though i don't need a babysitter, i'm apparently too young to stay at home all alone with nate, but this will be perfect!"

the way she explains it makes me almost excited but no. if my dad finds out i have a job and aren't entertaining his friends, i'll get in so much shit.

i force a smile and nod. "one hundred percent."

i step on samuels foot as hard as i can, he doesn't even flinch or move. whatever, i'm strong.

"anyways, cecilia is staying the night." samuel says fast and grabs my hand as he leads me to the stairs.

"wait!" i tell him and jerk my hand away from his grip. "nate is asleep. he has to go bed."

he rolls his eyes. "the babysitter was supposed to do that."

"well you kinda rushed her out."

"whatever." he mutters and goes back to the living room and i follow him. he places his hands on nates waist and holds him up so he's resting on samuel like a monkey. "be in bed by 12, em. and no friends over, it's too late."

she nods and rolls her eyes. "yes sir."

which makes me giggle. samuel holds nate to nates room and gently places him under the covers.

"please can we stay with him for a little bit." i whisper to samuel as i stare at nate. he's so adorable and the feeling of little kids being so silent and cute warms my heart. their demons when they're awake but angels when they're sleeping.

"the fuck, no."

i roll my eyes and take a seat at the edge of nates bed, "yes."

"no."

"samuel, yes. you can go to your room. i'll stay here." i tell him.

"cecilia," he starts getting annoyed, "no."

"you're such a child." i comment and stay in my seat.

"i'm the child?!" he whisper-yells and my eyes widen in fear of nate waking up. samuel changes his face to a less angry one. "fine, you can stay but only for a minute."