˗ˋ 95

CHAPTER NINETY-FIVE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH SHE MEETS
WITH MCGONAGALL

. . .

Elodie did as McGonagall asked, taking a seat in one of the wooden chairs in front of the Professor's desk. It had a red cushion attached to the bottom, the cover having a pattern incredibly similar to several cushions in the Gryffindor common room.

In fact, it seemed as if any item of furniture or decoration in the office could be placed in the common room and not go amiss and appear out of place. It would look incredibly at home, from the specific wood and old shine of the furniture, to the wallpaper, flooring, rugs - even the gold, slightly brassy candelabra that sat precariously on the edge of McGonagall's desk.

Even without seeing the decoration, it was clear the woman was a Gryffindor through and through. In the previous year, through all the sternness and stony demeanour, Elodie had been able to get to know her as a teacher.

Everyone, including herself, held Professor McGonagall in high respect. If there was one teacher that the twins hazarded any admiration for, it was her. And - although nobody would ever admit it - she could sometime have a soft spot for the designated troublemakers, even though she would turn cold and solemn to anyone else who believed themselves to be funny.

She gave compliments rarely, which was why it was such a positive feeling when a student receieved one. Similiar to that, it was impossible to get a smile out of her, but a thin-lipped one may appear if a comment was sarcastic and dry enough to appease her sense of humour.

But no matter how stern and well-respected she was, McGongall was loyal and always ready to help students who needed it. Her first class with Elodie was began by asking her if she was okay understading everything, and in a couple following that the same question was asked. Any conversation they had after lesson was purely in French, and the Beaumont girl had barely even realised it.

Elodie's head jerked back into facing forward at the sound of the woman clearing her throat, and it was then that the student realised that perhaps trying to read the spines of the many books on the shelves as well as examining the many ornaments was considered quite rude.

McGonagall was writing something on a foot or so of parchment, her concentration solely on that, every so often glancing to a book open to the left of her before returning to her letter.

Elodie didn't mind waiting, it was clear that the Transfiguration professor and head of house didn't have her first lesson of the year until later that day, and was using her free time to do something productive - unlike whenever the twins and Elodie had a free period it would be spent hidden away making products

"I was going to wait until we shared a Transfiguration lesson this afternoon, Miss Beaumont. But alas, I must admit my plan is rather flawed." McGonagall stopped writing, her quill placed carefully in the stand besides the small pot of ink, a singular bubble of black liquid forming at the tip of the golden nib. "Considering that you wouldn't know that you had the lesson at all."

Elodie just nodded; what else could she say to that? She was attempting to remain as polite as possible, and her eyes widened just a little as Professor McGonagall lost her stiff composure and sat back in her seat, folding her hands on her lap.

"I can't quite believe we have another Triwizard Champion in our midst." The woman said. "You can imagine how surprised I was when Madame Maxime came to me and expressed your interest in this school."

"She told you?" Elodie's eyebrows rose a little. She was not aware of that.

"Oh yes. I admit, I suspected it myself upon seeing you become so close to the Weasley twins. Upon meeting them, they're not exactly people you can imagine not seeing for a year or so, are they?" McGonagall continued, picking up the sheet of parchment and aiming her wand at it, silently casting a spell with complex wand movement before folding it in half. "Did you just transfer to Hogwarts to be closer to your boyfriend and his brother?"

"No." Elodie knew the answer to that straight away. "It may appear that way, given my lack of knowledge about the school before my visit but it isn't. I wouldn't do something so stupid, there's always a possibility that the relationship wouldn't work out."

"But of course, given your sat in front of me now, you had hope that it would?" McGonagall tucked her letter into the envelope. "Miss Beaumont, this isn't an interrogation, would you please relax and take a biscuit."

Elodie looked confused, before Professor McGonagall pushed a small dish in front of her. "Of course I thought it would work out." She confirmed with a nod of her head. "But Hogwarts, even after just a couple weeks of being here, felt a lot more like a home than Beauxbatons ever did."

"I see." McGonagall had taken a little pride in that, sitting up just the slightest bit in her seat. "In that case, Miss Beaumont, I formally welcome you to Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As you Head of House, I'm obliged to remind you of our school rules and expectations, and also offer a helping hand whenever you find yourself in a particularly unbearable situation."

"Thank you."

"But for now..." Professor Mcgonagall opened one of her desk drawers. "Let's discuss your classes and schedule for your final year of wizarding education."

a/n
professor mcgonagall
appreciation chapter tbh