8 - Ceiling Time

In the POV of Y/n, The Next Morning

Warning; Starting from this chapter, this book will begin to include themes of anxiety and doxxing. If any of these topics make you uncomfortable, I'd steer away from the book as it brings an IRL element to life. Thank you for reading so far!

---

It had only been a week or so since I had met Clay and things were moving quickly. It gave me a bit of anxiety, especially since my highschool experience wasn't great when it came to dating the occassional guys. I ate my food, scrolling through my twitter feed and reading everyones thoughts from last night. Clay did forget to end stream but it's not like he said my actual name or leaked anything.

However, I wonder what it would sound like if he did say my name. He had only mentioned it over text so I'd never heard him actually say it. It was a wild thought but, it was true. What would my name sound like coming from him?

I continue to scroll before seeing the ship fanart page again. I smirk to myself before clicking it and going to comment.

Clay replying is going to make stans go even crazier but the art was amazing

Clay replying is going to make stans go even crazier but the art was amazing. Like the artist's pfp, it was in a sketchy style of the two of our characters holding eachother under the stars. They are talented and it's crazy that someone actual drew us together. I still can't process that fully.

I wash my plate after I finish and put it away, bringing myself to the bathroom to get myself ready for the day. I brush my teeth and wash my face, letting my mind wander. I finish up and go to my room, putting on a cute pair of sweats. I take a picture in my mirror, saving it for instagram later so people don't have the chance to recognize me in public.

I grab my keys and begin walking to my first-stop, the local market. I slip my mask over my nose, as I begin seeing people, walking past others silently. I slip into the small-looking shop and begin browsing the various aisles. The market looked small from the outside but once you were in, it was like a wonderland. Their prices were extremely affordable, making it much easier to get food than before.

I finish up looking and go to the checkout, spacing myself from others. I begin to scan my item when I feel my phone buzzing in my pocket. I scan faster and pay quickly, taking my phone out on the last ring.

"Hello?" I say, bagging my items quickly.

"Hi! It's Tessa. I just wanted to make sure I had your number right! And talk to you for while," she said laughing.

"Oh, hi Tessa! I'm actually out in public right now, so I'll call you back later. Bye," I say as she says it back and ends the call. I feel a few eyes on me, which makes me a bit nervous, and grab my bags quickly. I walk out the market and head to my next stop when the eyes are still there, almost as if I'm being followed. I start walking faster and my head begins to pound. What is this feeling? I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn quickly, trying to present myself in a 'you don't want to fuck with me' kind of way.

"Sorry, I overheard your call in the store," two teenage girls begin saying. "Are you Nightmare? You sound just like her." I feel my heart stop but focus on how I look. I slant my head, in a confused way.

"I'm sorry, who?"

"You do sound just like her. If it is you, we won't dox you or anything, we're just glad we could meet you. We're big fans. Also, who is Tessa?" I feel like I'm going to puke. I steady my breathing before they can notice and continue to act. Do they realize that fans of mine know I am faceless and do not intend to show my face yet.

"I'm sorry but you have the wrong person. Please leave me alone now," I say, removing myself from the situation as fast as possible. I cling to the bags and go to my second and final stop of the day, the coffee shop. I go in, making sure those girls are no longer following me. I order my usual and leave, going straight back to my apartment.

When I go into the apartment I break down into tears, locking my door quickly and deleting the picture I took today. I try my best to not present myself in public but this was strange. I press my phone and realize I'm hyperventilating. I open my breathing app and begin to focus on stream tonight rather than what just happened. I calm myself within 10 minutes and press Tessa's contact, about to call her back, making sure no one is around to hear this time. My phone begins to buzz though.

Clay/Dream :) is facetiming you...

I answer the phone with my camera covered while I see his aimed at the ceiling.

"Hi!" he says, sounding happy. I rush to my kitchen counter and set my phone on the counter so he could see my ceiling as well.

"Hi! What's up, I was about to call Tessa back," I say, unsure of whether or not he knows that she called me.

"That's actually why I called. I can't believe she called you before I had the chance. She didn't call you at a bad time right?" I stop and try to calm myself all over again. It isn't a big deal of what happened, right? I try steadying my breathing but its not working. I begin to pace myself but that doesn't work either. Nothing is working.

"Hey, it's okay, it's okay. What happened?" Clay says, probably hearing either the silence or my messed up breathing pattern.

"Someone recognized my voice even though I was extremely quiet on call," I started, already beginning to talk really fast." They followed me for a while too until they could start asking me if I was her or not. They even asked who Tessa is, as if they weren't invading my privacy enough. I hated it, every moment of it. It's not Tessa's fault, I should've just been quieter. I just can't believe someone would ask that fully-knowing I'm faceless and didn't want my identity revealed." I sigh and get myself a glass of water, feeling a headache coming on.

"Wait really? That's bullshit! Anyone invading your privacy like that isn't a real fan. Are you okay? Is there anything I can help with? Did they see where you live? How much of your face could they see? Did people notice the interaction? How are you feeling now that it's already happened?"

"Clay, thank you. I mean it. Thank you for caring, it means a lot. I'm okay now, I guess. And I don't think they know where I live, or at least I hope so." I touch my face, remembering my mask and pull it down. "They only saw my eyes. I had a mask on."

"Did you acknowledge them right away?"

"No. Kind of wish on of the girls didn't tap my shoulder to get my attention, though."

"I'm sorry. One of the girls did what?" His voice sounded upset, more upset than mine. "Who just taps a random person on the shoulder like that. Especially if you think it could be someone you look up to. That's just disrespectful."

"It's okay, I swear. Nobody overheard the interaction, I think."

"I'm sorry. That shouldn't have happened." The facetime, or more like ceiling time, lasted a few more hours before I checked the time. It was time to stream and there was no doubt that I would completely ignore what happened today while I was live.