Chapter#51

Ahmar's POV:

"I don't miss the old me," Tahir raised his hand in the air and left the book, "And I am quite happy about it. If I were to remain the same as before, I might end up ruin my own life. We are better versions of us, right?"

I didn't answer him and laid down on the sofa.

"At least put aside this so-called ego of yours sometimes." Faiq said.

"I often do that." I closed my eyes.

"Yes, when his obsessive nature surface up." Tahir smirk and my eyes shot open.

"Obsessive nature?" I turned my face to Tahir, "Obsessed with what?"

"With Hira of course."

"What nonsense are you spouting?"

"Am I wrong?" He turned to Zaid for confirmation on which he just smiled.

"What is the meaning of that smile?" I quickly sat up.

"You have a long journey ahead of you Ahmar." Said Faiq patting my back.

After this none of them answer my questions properly and it was made me more agitated.

~*~

Hira's POV:

Yet another sleepless night and another restless day. I wish I could say that Faizan's presence brought peace to me but it would be far from the truth. He brought the unwanted memories I have buried deep inside my heart. They all came back, piercing words, hateful gazes, all the flashbacks and all the concerns about the future.

Yet, I can not tell him, how painful these days have become to me. Nor I can push him away. I am afraid that by doing so I might lose the only relative that remains in my life. Therefore, I decided to endure as long as I could. Besides, his holidays were about to end any time soon. He haven't told me but it was easy to guess. The amount of time he wanted to spend with me and his inquiries could tell that he was in a bit rush. My suspicion was confirmed when he told me that he wanted to meet Zulqarnain and his family before the end of the week. He was especially interested in Ahmar and his friends. Why? I don't know and for some reason, I was having an uneasy feeling about it. 

'I will ask auntie if I could bring Faizan to meet her tomorrow.' 

Unaware of my surrounding I kept staring at the teacup on the kitchen counter before me until a hand came from my back and took the cup. I was startled and look back only to find Ahmar standing behind me.

" Your tea is cold." He said putting the teacup on the table again.

"Oh!" I quickly touched it and it was indeed cold.

I grabbed the cup and walked over to the microwave.

" What were you thinking?" Asked Ahmar following me.

" Nothing special"

" So why were you so lost in the thoughts that you even forgot to eat your breakfast?" He stood against leaning the kitchen shelf.

"It happens sometimes, nothing to worry about." I put the cup into the microwave.

"Why didn't you asked Ami to woke me up yesterday?"

"Yesterday?... Oh! in the morning. Well, you are busy these days and it wasn't  nice to disturb you."

" Who cares if it was nice or not. You shouldn't have gone alone."

"I don't mind travelling alone and besides I am used to it." 

"I don't care if you are used to it or not. You should-" He suddenly stopped and looked away.

"What I am trying to say is that, don't go alone if I am around. I don't like it. Don't make me feel useless." He said in a low voice.

"You aren't useless, Ahmar. What's got into you?" I smiled at this sudden change.

"I will be waiting for you near the car." And he just left with a serious expression on his face, leaving me standing confused.

Is he stressed out???

~*~

The drive to the college went unusually silent and when I tried to talk to him he just reply with 'hm', 'yes' and 'no'. Taking it as a hint I didn't bother him much but it got me worried that I might overburden the boys. It could be a possibility that they are really taking the stress and made a mistake later. What if they failed in their finals because of my request? What if they are afraid to face their families at the party? What if-.

"Hello?" My chain of thoughts broke when I saw a hand waving before my face.

"Hm?" I turned to Ahmar.

"You were spacing out again."

"Oh! Sorry. Did you say something?"

"Should I come to pick you or do you again have somewhere to go?"

"Yeah, right. Actually, I have some plans after the work so no need to pick me." I smiled.

"I know you won't like me asking but," He asked after a pause, "What are you up to?"

"...Nothing."

"Is it related to the upcoming party?" He stopped the car near the college gate and turned to me.

"No, not at all."

"Thank God." He sighed.

"Is something wrong?... Tell me are you guys having a hard time because of my request?"

~*~

Ahmar's POV:

"Is something wrong? Tell me are you guys having a hard time because of my request?" 

This is it!

This tone of voice,

This worried expression,

This concern...

Why?

I wanted to ask her. Why do you worry so much about us? Who are we to you? Why don't you just let us be and live your life peacefully? Why do you care what happens to us in the future? It's none of your business, it has nothing to do with you. You should care more about yourself, think about yourself. Not about us, we are just travellers who met by chance in this journey of life. We won't be with you forever, we aren't your destination. So, don't think about us, think about your destination. Don't try to pick stones from our path and later fall from a stone of your own.

'Don't.' I mumbled staring through the windscreen.

"Don't, what? Ahmar? I am asking something?" She asked quite loudly.

I am asking too!

Who are you???

"Ahmar? Tell me honestly what is the problem or else?"

Combing my hair with fingers, I asked, "Or else?"

"Just tell me already."

"Sara."

"Sara?"

"Yes, Sara. My brother's dum challa (tail ring)."

"I don't understand. What are you saying?"

"My brother involved Sara in our plan. We found Sara at the venue when we went to visit it. She told us that the brother of mine asked for her help and we should do as she says."

She went silent for a while and asked, "What did Zulqarnain say about it?"

"Unable to contact him. I left a text, he will answer when received it."

"Hm...I better be going now." She opened the car door to leave.

"But what about Sara?" I was surprised at her nonchalant behaviour. 

"Let her be, do as she says. My main concern are you four nothing else." With that, she left.