Chapter #53

Hira's POV:

"It took you long." I said as Ahmar came into the living room.

"Your cousin talks too much."

I chuckled and asked, "What did he say?"

"Nothing worth mentioning..." He looked away for a brief moment and asked, "Are... you alright?"

"Yes, Alhamdulillah. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I, ... about Sara."

"Forget it, we have better things to do in life." I smiled.

"How..." He paused before continuing, "Did you anticipate it?"

"Of course not, it's just... I can expect anything from Zulqarnain."

It's true...

"Yes, he is unpredictably insensitive." He said sitting on the sofa beside me.

"Just because you are much more levelheaded than him, it doesn't mean that you can make fun of him." I smiled.

"Why are you being defensive about him?" 

"He is my friend, isn't this enough of a reason?"

"A foolish friend... I am sure you have heard that a wise enemy is better than a foolish friend." 

"Don't talk about your elder brother like that." I glared at him.

"Then deny me." He stared back into my eyes.

"I won't and I can't because it is the truth. But still, I respect him very much, as a person and as a friend and I am thankful to him."

"And why is that?"

I smiled and asked, diverting the conversation. "What's that?"

"What?" I pointed towards a shopping bag that he put down a few moments ago.

"It's a... gift."

"For your parents?"

"No."

"Oh." I didn't inquire any further.

"You aren't going to ask who is it for?" He asked after a brief moment of silence.

"No, it's okay."

"Seriously." He grabbed the bag and put it on my lap.

"It's for you."

"For me?" My eyes went wide as he broke this to me.

"Yes."

"But... why?" I asked holding the bag, still unable to believe what was happening.

"Just take it... and wear it in the party."

"You mean your parents' anniversary?"

"Where else?" He stood up staring at me and went inside his room.

Well, that was unexpected!

Holding the bag I went upstairs and on opening it, I found a beautiful green dress with copper colour embroidery on it. A smile crept on my face as I read the note in the bag.

Wear it even if you don't like it!

How arrogant of him.

The thought came into my mind and my smile widened.

~*~

Hira's POV:

'Tomorrow will be the day...'

Was the first thought that came to my mind when I woke up. I was a bit excited and a bit nervous. As if my exam results were to be announced. But on second thought, it was true, well sort of. Me and my four students are going to play a big gamble tomorrow. A life-changing gamble. They might have nothing to lose but so much to gain. However, if we didn't succeed, it will affect all of us. Our views about life and probably our ways of living. If things turned out opposite of what we expected, I know I will never be able to face the four of them again. I was the one who pushed them toward this path and I am ready to bear all the consequences of it.