Chapter 5 - Prom

Stella was really surprised when she told her she was going to go to Prom because she had said so many times throughout high school that she wasn't planning to go. She didn't mention that she was going with Axel though. She wanted that to be a surprise for everyone. 

It took some convincing to get Stella to finally agree to go because she said the whole idea behind Prom was ridiculous and outdated. Finally after a lot of begging she caved and said she would come too and she even found a date. It was with Stanley Jones, a shy quiet guy she met in the Art Club and he seemed really nice but shy. 

Emma scrounged up all the extra money she had been saving up and her and Stella went dress shopping at a local boutique, thrift store that had used Prom, formal and wedding dresses. Some were vintage. Some were newer and more modern. It all just depended on how lucky you were to find something good before it was taken by somebody else.

She tried several that just weren't great. 

"I don't know Stella. I don't really like the way any of these look on me. I was really hoping to find something that looked good here because I can't afford anywhere else," she said sadly, lowering her eyes and feeling them start to water. 

"You know what?" the middle aged female shopkeeper said, getting their attention. "I have a dress in the back that was just brought in and hasn't been put out on the floor yet. It's really nice. It looks like it might be your size too." 

"Really?" Emma asked, her eyes lighting up and feeling hopeful. Maybe something was going to go right in her life for once. 

The shopkeeper went into the back room and a minute later she came out carrying a very light pink dress that was strapless with layers of flowing tulle at the bottom. 

Emma gasped. "It's beautiful!" 

She took it from her and stepped into the dressing room and she was so surprised how well it fit. It showed more cleavage than she had ever shown in her life but it hugged her curves perfectly and felt like it was made for her. When she stepped out of the stall Stella and the shopkeeper both gasped. 

"You look amazing!" Stella said, with her eyes tearing up. "It's beautiful!" 

Emma looked at her reflection in the tri-fold mirror and couldn't believe how perfect and beautiful this dress looked on her. She couldn't wait for Axel to see her in it. 

"How much is it?" she asked the shopkeeper

"How much is it?" she asked the shopkeeper. "I don't have very much to spend." 

The woman smiled at her and said, "However much you have will be enough. This dress was made for you."

Emma walked over and gave her a hug with tears in her eyes and said, "Thank you." 

The woman gave her a warm smile and said, "I just hope you have the night of your life." 

"Me too," she said with a smile on her face, feeling so giddy and excited. She couldn't remember ever feeling like this in her entire life. She was going to prom with Axel and it was definitely going to be the night of her life."