Chapter 11 - Dinner in the Lion's Den

He put his hand on the small of her back and lead her forward towards the doorman for the building who opened  the door and said, "Good evening, Mr. Hart." 

"Good evening," he said, with a smile. 

They went through the doors that lead into a large lobby that had several people standing at a desk asking questions and the person behind the counter was smiling and friendly. The lobby had shiny black tile flooring and bright white walls and ceiling with a chandelier hanging above in the entry way. Axel lead her to the elevators where a man in a red & gold suit with a little hat on his head had the elevator open and waiting on them. 

They stepped inside and the man already had his floor selected, which she noticed was at the very top.  They rode up in the elevator in silence with the elevator attendant standing there awkwardly next to them. She just wasn't used to having an elevator attendant in her building so to her it felt weird. 

Finally there was a ding and the doors opened and Axel walked out first, leading the way to a door that he had to lay his thumbprint on to open. There was a click and the door opened and he lead the way inside. 

Her eyes widened as she took in the view of the penthouse apartment in front of her with the industrial look, a burning gas fireplace and dark leather couches. It was so beautiful and luxurious. She had thought her apartment was nice but this put hers to shame.  

"I asked my chef to have dinner prepared for us out on the balcony. It's right this way," he said leading her through the apartment. She got a glimpse of the kitchen as they passed it and it looked like an old world Italian kitchen that would be owned by a serious chef with a butcher block island, a very large stove with several gas burners and a built in grill, pots hanging overhead from hooks and wooden cabinets with an intricate design carved into them. 

They passed on through and he opened a sliding glass door and lead them out onto a balcony overlooking the city. They were downtown and high enough to have a clear view of the surrounding skyscrapers but also high enough to not hear the honks or sirens of the traffic below. From all the way up here the city was peaceful and beautiful.