Chapter 31 - Visit from Victoria

***** Emma's Point of View *****

Emma walked into her office the next morning and flipped on the light, taking a seat behind her desk with a deep exhale, clicking the power button on her laptop. She wasn't feeling like herself today. She was usually so driven and ready to work, but working was the last thing she wanted to do right now.

She spent the next couple hours catching up on emails that she had missed and setting up some appointments on her calendar. Now that she was going to be partner her schedule was going to be busier than ever. 

When she finally decided to take a break she clicked on her phone and called up Stella. 

"Hey Mamacita! I haven't talked to you in a couple days. Have you been cheating on me with a new best friend?" she asked with a laugh. 

"No, I've just been crazy busy with work stuff. I went on a retreat this weekend with my co-workers and it was surprisingly fun. I found out most of them are actually pretty nice."

"Wait? Who is this? Is this Emma Jacobs or did someone dial a wrong number? Have you been taken hostage and they're forcing you to say these things?"

She laughed and shook her head. "No seriously. I'm surprised too but it's actually the truth. I have some big news."

"What?" Stella asked. 

"I made partner!" she said, trying to work up as much excitement about it as she could. If anyone could hype her up it was Stella. She knew how bad she wanted this. 

"What!! Are you freakin' serious right now!" and then she heard her cheering and screaming at her boyfriend that she got the partnership. 

Hearing her be so excited about it made her smile. 

"Congratulations girl! That's so awesome. I'm coming to Chicago soon and you're rich ass is taking me out to celebrate!" 

That made her laugh. 

"Of course. You can come any time. In fact you can move here whenever you get sick of lobbying all those politicians in Washington. I don't know how you do it. I thought my co-workers were bad but working with crooked politicians has to be the worst job in the world." 

"Yeah well. I put up with them because one day I hope to get some bills passed to protect animals and the environment.  Maybe I'll make a difference in this god forsaken place." 

 "Well if anyone can do it you can. I'm proud of you," Emma smiled. 

"I'm proud of you too. Look at you making your dreams come true," Stella said and you could hear her smile through the phone. 

She heard a knock on her door and looked up to see Victoria Chase standing there in her doorway. 

"Hey Stella. I've got a visitor. I'll call you back later," she said hanging up. 

"Hey Victoria," she said with a smile, standing up and holding out her hand to shake. Victoria shook her hand and sat down in one of the chairs across from her desk. 

Emma walked over and closed her office door and sat down behind her desk. 

"So what brings you by? Do you want to talk about the Cavanaugh account?" she asked. 

"Something like that," Victoria said, sitting back in her seat and crossing her arms, glaring at Emma. 

"Ok. Well then go ahead. Ask away," she said. 

Victoria looked at her and shook her head. "You really thought you were going to get away with it didn't you?" 

She scrunched her eyebrows in confusion.