Chapter One

Updated: October 22, 2021
Edited: June 27, 2023

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

A lazy hand emerged from under the white-covered duvet, slapping around on the desk nearby until it finally hit a plastic box-like item, and soon enough, the beeping stopped. Satisfied with the silence that followed, the hand retrieved itself back under the covers.

For a long moment all there was silence; however, in a split second, the covers flew on the floor, and a long-haired boy emerged from under the thick duvet. "Shit!" he cursed. "I'm going to be late!" He slid off of the bed, no, actually, the boy fell off of the bed with a loud thump, knocking his head on the legs of the desk chair.

"Beomgyu-ah! Are you up yet?" A voice called from down the hall.

"I'm coming!" The boy replied with a wince, mimicking the volume. He scrambled to his closet and pulled out his uniform, changing messily. While putting on his sock, he hopped to the bathroom to brush his teeth. But, to not waste any more time, he just threw his toothbrush in the sink, grabbed his hairbrush, swallowed the toothpaste in his mouth, and grabbed his backpack on the way out of his room.

Beomgyu nearly tripped down the hall, as he brushed his hair and fixed his uniform at the same time. When he arrived in the kitchen, he placed this hairbrush on the island counter, which already had a plate of food sitting on top. The food was still steaming slightly.

"Hyung, I-"

"Why are you such a mess?" Another boy, no, man, had come out of the bathroom in the hall with a toothbrush in his mouth. "Look at yourself." The male walked up to Beomgyu, ruffling his hair with his unoccupied hand.

Beomgyu glanced down at himself and noticed what the older man was referring to. His tie was hanging over the black sweater vest instead of tucked neatly under it, one sleeve of the white dress shirt he wore was rolled up to just under his elbow, and one of his white socks was pulled over his pant leg. In a panic, he quickly adjusted the mess.

"Why are you in such a hurry?" His brother walked over to the kitchen sink to rinse his mouth and toothbrush of toothpaste.

"I'm going to be late for school!" Beomgyu whined, tucking his tie in.

Taewon raised a brow back at Beomgyu. "Late? It's only seven."

"Yeah, exactly! I'll be- wait, did you say seven?"

His brother nodded.

Beomgyu fished his phone out of his pocket, turning it on with a click. In a flash, he was greeted with the lock screen of him and his friend group, huddled around each other with dirt smeared all over their faces. At the top of his screen, numbers were displayed, '7:08'. His shoulders instinctively relaxed.

He had plenty of time, thirty minutes at least.

"See? What's the rush?" Taewon sat down by the island, opening his phone, and checking his emails.

Beomgyu threw his backpack on the floor, shoved his phone back in his pocket, and sat next to his brother, in front of the plate of eggs and toast. "I had a dream that I missed an entire school day because I slept in."

Taewon only hummed in response, clearly occupied with whatever he was looking at.

"Did Eomma and Appa already leave for work?" He asked with a face full of food.

"Yep. I'll be leaving for work soon too."

"Wait, why? Don't you have the day off? It's a Wednesday, isn't it?"

Beomgyu was about to fish for his phone again when his brother answered, "my girlfr- the cafe is low on staff today, so I have to go in to fill for a few hours."