Chapter Ten

Updated: December 31, 2021
Edited: June 28, 2023

It was a nice day. There were little to no clouds in the sky, and it was quite warm, warmer than usual, so there were students wearing short-sleeved shirts, skirts, and shorts. Taehyun was one of those students. He wore a white short-sleeved shirt embroidered with Hybe's logo on his left chest, a black tie neatly adjusted around his neck, and black pants. His backpack hung by a single strap on his left shoulder.

As he stepped into the school's campus, he glanced down at the lollipop in his right hand. It was neatly wrapped in a pink plastic sheet, pictures of strawberries scattering around it. It was cute wrapping.

They didn't sell lollipops at the movie theater, so on his way home, he stopped by the convenience store and brought three strawberry-flavored lollipops. It didn't cost much, maybe about five hundred won per lollipop.

"Taehyun-ah!"

The boy stuffed the lollipop back into his pocket and glanced back up as a girl jogged up to him with a wave. "Ah, Miyung-ah!"

"Thanks for coming with me yesterday," she said with a smile. "I had a lot of fun."

The silver-haired boy smiled in return. "I had fun too."

She giggled, "I told my friends all about it, and now, they are upset how I didn't invite them."

"You did ask them though? Didn't you?"

"Yeah, but that's okay. They are just like that."

He nodded, slightly unsure. They didn't really sound like friends.

"Anyway, thanks again. See you in English!" She waved at him again before turning back to her 'friends'.

"See you later!" The boy waved back, continuing his own path across the field. When he arrived at the bench, he was quick to realize that he was the latest out of all of them. Walking up to them, he noticed they were slightly distracted by something on Yeonjun's phone. His eyes immediately landed on Beomgyu, who was sitting on the oldest's lap with the older's arm wrapped around his waist to reach his phone. Beomgyu's arm was around the older's neck as he leaned forward, peeking at the same phone screen. Taehyun could care less about what the other two were doing.

"Hello!" Taehyun greeted cheerfully, hiding the bitterness in his voice.

The four of them looked up, alarmed.

"We thought you were sick," said Soobin. "You're usually the earliest out of all of us."

Taehyun smiled lightheartedly. "I just woke up later than usual." ...because he was up most of the night thinking about Beomgyu's reaction to the lollipop he will give him (forget about his and Miyung's 'date').

"Why?" Yeonjun wiggled his eyebrows, "thinking about the date you had?"

The younger squinted his eyes at him. "How many times do I have to tell you that it wasn't a date? And, also, no. I wasn't."

As the three of them laughed at Taehyun's reaction, Beomgyu had slithered out of Yeonjun's lap, bounding towards the silver-haired boy with a smirk on his face. "You got the stuff?"

The other didn't have to ask to understand what he meant by 'stuff'. "You don't need to say it like that."

"Drugs?" Kai sounded from the background.

He reached into his pocket for the three candies and held them out for the older. "Here." And, to answer the other first-grader's question, he said, "they are just lollipops, Kai."

"Yo!" Kai jumped over the bench. "I want one too!"

Beomgyu, in defense, immediately ripped his hands away the moment he took the lollipops out of Taehyun's hand, running away quickly. Kai ran in pursuit and grabbed him suddenly with his long limbs.