Chapter Three

Updated: November 5, 2021
Edited: June 28, 2023

Taehyun stared blankly at the blackboard, his phone resting gently in the palm of his hand. He wasn't doing anything, nor was his class. The teacher was out that day and there was nothing prepared for him and his classmates, so the class just ended up turning into somewhat of a study hall. But, Taehyun, being the straight-A student he was, he already had his work done. So, here he was, sitting in a teacherless class with no work to do and no friends to talk to.

"Taehyun-ah!"

The boy didn't hear.

"Taehyung-ah!" The voice called again, succeeding this time.

"Hm?" He looked around. The girl who sat beside him was the one who spoke. "Oh, sorry."

"No worries. I- uh." Her fingers fidgeted nervously. "I was wondering if you were busy later today. A new movie came out recently, and I was just wondering if you wanted to watch it together?"

"Oh, um. I'm busy today, but we could watch it tomorrow or even sometime this weekend."

The girl brightened. "Really?"

Taehyun smiled, "yeah, why not? I haven't seen any movies recently."

"Is Sunday night okay?"

He nodded.

"Great!" She pulled out her phone from her backpack and moved closer to Taehyun's desk. "Could I get your number, so I could text you the details?"

"Of course."

The two exchanged numbers—names set to 'Taehyun-ah❤️' and 'Su Miyung'.

"What movie did you have in mind?"

Miyung looked a bit awkward, clearing her throat embarrassingly. "You might think I'm weird, but I wanted to watch 'The Tomorrow War' since it was first released, but none of my friends wanted to watch it with me."

"Really?" Taehyun brightened, his eyes seemed to glow. "I've wanted to watch that movie for a while now too!"

Miyung seemed less embarrassed when he said that.

"Your friends didn't want to watch it?" He glanced over at the three girls crowded around a desk, murmuring and whispering to each other.

She nodded. "It's an action movie, so I understand. Girls don't like that kind of thing anyway. Well, at least my friends don't."

"Your friends don't seem very fun, sorry," he pointed out, scratching the back of his head.

She smiled. "They aren't, it's okay."

"Now, you have me," Taehyun added with a smile. "I'm your friend now. We can talk about fun things together!"

Miyung's smile faltered when he said 'friend', but he didn't notice.

The school bell rang, stopping all conversations immediately as students got up and scrambled to get all of their things together. Taehyun got up, pulling the strap of his bag over his shoulder. He looked at Miyung as she got up. "I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow."

Taehyun began leaving first after sending her a small wave.

Miyung called after him, "I'll text you the time of the movie!"

He waved back, leaving the classroom to come face-to-face with Kai.

"Who was that?" Kai asked, looking behind Taehyun as they began walking together.