Chapter Fifteen

Updated: January 28, 2022
Edited: June 29, 2023

After being on the bus for about an hour, things began to be a lot quieter. Instead of talking, you could only hear the occasional shuffling of clothes, or maybe even nothing at all. Taehyun, on the other hand, only heard the soft, low-volume music playing through his Airpods. It wasn't blasting, but it was just loud enough where the shuffling was just barely audible past the rumbling of the bus from outside.

"Soobin-ah!" It was Yeonjun who called for Soobin, who sat one row in front of Taehyun. "Soobin-ah!"

After a few calls, the red-haired boy finally took out his earbuds and turned around to the call of his name. "Yes, Hyung?"

Even Taehyun gazed back to see what the oldest was calling Soobin for. That's when he noticed the long-haired boy beside Yeonjun, laying his head on the black-haired boy's shoulder with his eyes gently closed and the subtle way Beomgyu curled up in response to the cold bus air.

"Do you know if Gyu-Gyu put his blanket bag in the compartments above or in the storage belly?" Yeonjun whisper-yelled. By 'storage belly', he meant the storage area just under the cabin of the bus.

"He put it underneath. Why?" Soobin was mostly out of his seat, half of his body in the alley, facing Yeonjun.

"Gyu-Gyu is shivering."

Without having to be told twice, Soobin carefully got out of his seat to get his bag from above. Taehyun watched from where he sat, seeing Soobin open his back and flip through it to look for something that might be helpful, but nothing came up. Soobin's bag was filled with clothes, yes, but most of them were hoodies, and Beomgyu was already wearing a hoodie. What he needed was a cover, either a blanket or a jacket.

"Taehyun-ah?" Soobin glanced over at the silver-haired boy after finding nothing.

"Hm?"

"Do you have a blanket or a jacket Gyu could use until we arrive?" The older didn't explain why because he already knew the younger was listening when Yeonjun spoke up.

"Maybe," Taehyun replied as he got out of the seat and reached up to the compartment for his own bag. When he sat back down, he gazed over at Beomgyu, who was still shivering from the cold and had brought his feet up onto the chair, hugging his knees for warmth.

Focusing back into his bag, he dug past the few things he had: a few books, a few snacks, a few bottles of water, a phone charger, a bag of his bathroom amenities, and a small health kit among other things. At the bottom of all of that was a thick gray sweatshirt jacket, which Taehyun pulled out. He had originally planned to wear it later that night to sleep since it was going to be ten degrees Celsius, but he could let Beomgyu borrow it for the next two hours.

"Yeonjun-hyung," Taehyun turned and reached his arm out to hand the jacket to the older.

"Thanks, Taehyun-ah!" The older winked at him.

The younger only nodded as he reorganized the inside of his bag and zipped it back up, used to Yeonjun's flirtatious actions. Instead of putting the bag back above him, he kept it in his lap, hugging it tightly against his chest.

"Mm... what happened?" Kai, who sat by the window to Taehyun's right, woke up after hearing the unusual amount of talking. He was peacefully taking a nap, leaning his head against the cold window.

Taehyun leaned his head back against the headrest, closing his own eyes. "Nothing happened. Go back to sleep."

"Oh..." Kai took a moment to assess the situation, and when he confirmed that indeed nothing had happened, he closed his eyes again in an attempt to go back to sleep.