Chapter 18: Frickity Frack

She screams, but nobody can hear.

Arya's POV:

I blinked slowly, looking from Cheekbones's outstretched hand to his dark eyes repeatedly. My brain short-circuited for a minute, before it finally computed his words. I shook his hand firmly.

"Arya." I said, "Nice to meet you, Cheekbones."

"Actually, it's Lucas." He smiled slightly.

I shrugged. "Eh, I don't quite care." I winced and slapped my hand over my mouth. "Sorry, I have a very loose tongue."

To my surprise, he laughed. "Don't worry about it, I have too, Greenie."

I raised an eyebrow. "Where'd that come from?"

"Your eyes are green." He frowned. "Holy guacamole your face is pretty busted."

I snorted. "You really know how to make a girl feel special."

Cheekbones paused. "You seem nice, Greenie, not gonna lie, but I can't marry you. It's not you-"

"Save it, Cheekbones." I rolled my eyes and held up a hand. "I don't want to marry you, too. I'm aromantic asexual."

His eyes widened. "Really? Me too!"

I gasped. "Once we get out of here, I think we're gonna be great friends."

He hummed in agreement, staring at the walls as if they were a complex maths problem he struggled to solve.

"What if we tunnel our way out?" Lucas suggested.

I snorted. "With what? Our bare hands?" I bit the inside of my cheek and then sighed, shaking my head.

If only I hadn't been stupid enough to trust the boys- maybe then I would have had a proper plan.

Tears brimmed in my eyes and I flinched slightly from the oily anger that burned inside me. I was sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

"Hey." Lucas gently touched my arm, worry swimming in his eyes. "You okay?"

"No." I answered truthfully, brushing a lock of hair from my eyes. "But let's get on with it." I titled my head and thought for a minute. "Okay... I might have a plan. But it's kinda stupid and we could end up in a worse situation than the one we are already in."

"Anything beats getting married. Let's do it."

X

A short while later, someone came to drop off the food. That was when we put our plan into motion.

I groaned loudly in fake pain, clutching my stomach with tears streaming down my face.

"Help her!" Lucas shouted, holding me. "She's in pain!"

The person who brought the food barely gave me half a glance. "Just walk it off- you'll be fine."

"It really hurts!" I protested, sniffing a little.

"And I doubt my father would be too pleased if his future daughter-in-law dies before the wedding!" Lucas added.

Food Dude rolled his eyes. "Oh for heaven's sake, I'm sure she'll be fine. She's not dying- it's nothing."

"What's going on here?" A figure stepped into the room; heels clicking against the floor. It took all of my willpower to not lunge at her and continue acting.

"N-nothing, uh, M-Miss Marigold." Food Dude stammered, going bright red. I mentally rolled my eyes.

Marigold smiled, a dazzling gesture that showed her white teeth. Food Dude looked like he was about to go into some form of cardiac arrest.