Tying the Knot

Atticus was going to kill somebody if this didn't work. God forbid Peter White went back on his word now.
"I object!" Atticus shouted, bursting through the double oak doors of the chapel at full speed.
All heads turned towards him. Atticus vaguely noticed Torin and Excalibur share a knowing smile as they rose from their seats. They'd been counting down the seconds until this moment, after all.
"I'm sorry, young man, but we are not at that part of the ceremony yet," the minister scolded, giving Atticus a disapproving look.
Atticus chuckled, slowly making his way down the aisle as he fixed his tie and straightened his cufflinks.
"Sorry, Padre, but I couldn't let you continue. You've got the wrong groom up there."
He kept his gaze trained on Zima, way too joyful watching the confusion and anger turn his face red. Atticus had pictured this moment while waiting for his father and Peter to iron out the details. The real thing was even better than his imagination. Grinning smugly, he clapped Lev on the back as Torin and Cal grabbed hold of him before the idiot could respond. Atticus jokingly waved goodbye as the two assassins practically carried out the struggling Russian. He caught sight of his sister, ushering out Lev's guests with a condescending smile gracing her features. Most of the guests left no problem, clearly confused but willing to follow Lev's exit.
Atticus finally allowed his attention to turn to the bride next to him. The bride who had yet to say anything or react at the events unfolding before her. The bride that was soon going to be his wife. Atticus felt his heart leap.
"C'mon, Ravyn. Alice insists we do this all properly, starting with you rewalking down the aisle," Cal informed his cousin, gently grabbing her arm and leading her away from Atticus' loving gaze.
Ravyn nearly tripped at the sudden movements, her legs seemingly not working. Her mind was racing with a million questions, too consumed with confusion to process her own actions. But she allowed her cousin to lead her towards the entrance.
Atticus watched as she walked away, unable to take his eyes off her. He heard Torin telling the minister to beat it, his services were not needed anymore. Atticus had convinced Torin to get ordained so he could perform the real ceremony. He couldn't change the venue or the dress or anything else for Ravyn's perfect wedding – it was too late for that – but he could at least surround her with her favorite people.
Atticus waited (impatiently) for Alice to return to his side so the ceremony could begin. She was his best woman, and he couldn't get married without her by his side. But his sister was making her way to the back of the chapel. Atticus' eyebrows furrowed.
Alice stepped up to Ravyn, holding something out to the older girl. It caught Ravyn's attention, lifting the confusing haze she had been in. She gingerly picked up the sapphire hair pin.
"I figured your dress was already something new. I wanted to give you something borrowed, old, and blue," Alice said, reaching out to help Ravyn place it in her beautifully done hair. "It belonged to my mom. She would've wanted you to wear it, though."
"Alice," Ravyn whispered, her words catching in her throat. Alice shook her head, stopping her from saying more. Placing a sweet kiss on Ravyn's cheek, Alice nodded to Cal before hurrying back up the aisle to stand beside her brother.
"What was that about?" Atticus whispered.
"Just bringing a piece of Mom to the ceremony," Alice shrugged, smiling up at her brother. "She would've wanted to be here for you. And she would have adored Ravyn."
Atticus felt tears prick his eyes. He reached out and squeezed his sister's hand.
As the traditional wedding march began to play (for the second time that day), Atticus turned his attention back to the double oak doors. He could have sworn that he had died and gone to heaven as Ravyn stepped back into the chapel. He'd obviously already seen her in her wedding dress, but something had changed. He always thought she was beautiful, but now she truly looked like an angel floating towards him. Atticus almost forgot how to breathe.
By the time she reached him, Atticus couldn't even deny that there were tears in his eyes. He didn't even try to hide it.
As Cal kissed Ravyn's cheek and stepped aside, Atticus took her hands and helped her up the step to the altar. His hands were shaking and he was sure his palms were sweating, but he didn't care. His best friend was standing before him, looking completely stunning, and he was about to marry her. The love of his life.
He couldn't even hear a word Torin said, his heart pounding too loud and his eyes only on Ravyn. But after a moment he saw her laugh, felt her squeeze his hand, and he finally realized that he was supposed to be talking.
"I'm sorry?" He spoke up, his voice slightly hoarse from unshed tears and embarrassment. He was sure his cheeks were red as he finally tore his gaze away from Ravyn and looked to Torin.
"Too distracted by Ravyn, you're not even paying attention to your wedding," Torin teased, all the guests chuckling. "Your vows, Atticus."
"Oh! Right," Atticus chuckled, his ears burning. He gazed back at Ravyn.
"I would say that I didn't have a lot of time to prepare, since I wasn't meant to be the groom until an hour ago, but we both know that's a lie," Atticus teased, an easy smile gracing his features. "Ravyn White, I loved you the day I met you sitting on the boys' kitchen floor eating Nutella with one of my gold spoons. I've been preparing for our wedding ever since. 'When I look at you, I find it hard to believe that the whole universe had not conspired to bring you to life. I cannot think of a more beautiful reason for it all to exist than for you in this day,' said by the famous Atticus. You are the most beautiful thing to happen to me, Ravyn. You're my best friend. And I want to spend the rest of my days giving you the happiness you deserve."
Atticus glanced down at their entwined hands, catching his breath for a moment. His eyes were full of tears. His heart was full of happiness.
"There's a quote by F. Scott Fitzgerald that, I think, summarizes us," Atticus started again, his voice barely above a whisper as he met Ravyn's loving eyes. "'Two souls are sometimes created together and in love before they're even born.' Ravyn, I loved you when I met you in that kitchen in the middle of the night. But I fell in love with you way before that. My soul just needed to find yours."