Home

"Ace, where are we even going?" Ravyn asked, looking out the window as her new husband drove them towards a nicer part of town. They wouldn't be living in the dorms anymore, and he had mentioned something about their new apartment, but she didn't think it'd be in the nice part of town.
"Home," he answered her cheekily.
"You're the type of person to think wherever I am is home, so give me a more specific answer." Ace laughed at her accusation, sending light soaring through her soul. It was good to hear him laugh, so happy and so free, after a torturous past year. They were free. Or at least more free than they'd ever been before.
"Your brother got us an apartment," Atticus explained. "He's waiting there to help finalize details." Ravyn spun to face her husband in her car seat.
"Peter? No way. Peter hates you, even though he does think you're a sexist pig. Peter also hates me, so no way he'd help."
"Ravyn," Atticus began, "you have two brothers, do you not? I know you and Nathaniel never talk, but it turns out he's actually decent."
Oh. Yeah. Nathaniel. At twelve years older than Ravyn, she rarely talked with him. He had gotten married right before her dad kicked her out. She had asked to live with him, since they used to be close, but either her dad or Nate refused to let that happen. Her sister-in-law, Mallory, was all for the idea, though. Except then it hadn't happened and Ravyn had grown up with her cousins. Which had turned out to be a great thing because now she had Cal. But still. She wasn't exactly Nate's biggest fan anymore.
"I didn't even realize he knew about all this insanity," Ravyn breathed out, bringing herself back to the present.
"He's the one who helped convince your dad that I'm a better match for you than Zima. Nathaniel made sure everything went smoothly, love." Ace squeezed her hand, flashing her a smile.
"Weird. He basically ignored me for the last seven years, and now he's giving me a happy ending," she grumbled. They parked in front of an old, yet incredibly nice, apartment building.
"How did you get a place here?" Ravyn asked, staring up at the building. She was still in her wedding dress and couldn't wait to change, but all her clothes were at her dad's house, waiting to be moved. Ace shrugged.
"Not sure. Nathaniel pulled some strings with your father." Apparently a lot of strings. Ravyn knew her dad had money, but he'd never been willing to spend it on her before. She knew Ace's dad—her new father-in-law, ew—was the same way. So yeah, Nate must have pulled some major strings.
The apartment building was nice, with a welcoming lobby and a fancy elevator. To her surprise, Ace pressed the button for the penthouse suite.
"Don't ask me how, but yes, your brother got us the penthouse. I'm just as confused as you are, Ray."
Did Nate make a deal with the devil or something? Peter White Sr. would never willingly spend this much money on her...
The elevator doors opened to reveal a fancily furnished apartment, with elegant furniture, artwork on the walls, and some nice smelling candles burning on the counter.
"Ravyn! It's so good to see you again!" a woman who looked a lot like Mallory called out. Except last Ravyn checked, Mallory wasn't extremely pregnant.
"I'm so sorry we've been so absent for the last few years. But we wanted to make up for it now," she explained, slowly coming over and embracing Ravyn in a giant hug. Ravyn wasn't a hugger, but it did feel nice to see her sister-in-law again.
"It's fine, Mal. Thank you, though, for whatever you've done," she breathed out. Mallory pulled away, winking at a grinning Atticus.
Then, before she could process what was happening, Ace had scooped her up in his arms and carried her into the doorway of their new apartment.
He was the biggest dork ever. At least he was her dork.
"Welcome home, love," he whispered, kissing her cheek after she was standing up again. Ravyn grinned up at him.
"You two are just precious! I'm so glad Nat was able to help you two," Mallory all but squealed, sitting on the couch once again. Nate stood from beside her, walking over and enveloping his little sister in a hug.
"I'm sorry for being gone, Ray. It wasn't fair to you. But I'm back now, I promise."
"Only took you seven years and for me almost succumbing to certain death, or worse," she criticized. Nate winced. Good. He deserved to feel bad for abandoning his sister.
"Yeah, I am really sorry. But Dad told me about the wedding, so I looked into the guy. He has some serious stuff in his folder, and the lead assassin in charge of him did not give him a good review when I asked about him. So I went to Dad to try and get the wedding called off, and that was when Atticus was trying to convince him that he was better. Which isn't hard." Nate gave a grinning Ace a stern look before turning back to his sister.
"Dad wouldn't let you live with us back when he kicked you out, and Mal and I weren't ready to support a ten year old anyways. I was always gone on missions, and she was teaching all the time. We wouldn't have been your best option, so it was for the best you went to live with our cousins, trust me."
Ravyn folded her arms over her chest. "You still barely talked to me for eight years, Nate. You haven't given me a reason to forgive you for that. Thanks for saving me and helping Ace and all, but you're not off the hook just yet."
Nate chuckled, shaking his head at his sister. "You are so much like Mom, Ray. She'd be ecstatic to see you like this, married to someone you care about and being saved from Dad." This softened Ravyn's heart, and she even smiled a little.
"Thanks, Nate. I appreciate that."
Ace snaked an arm around Ravyn's waist, pulling her closer against him.
"Enough with all the sappiness. You two need a tour and to unpack. Nat already brought all your stuff over from your dad's house, Ravyn. Atticus, I don't think we have any of your stuff here. But you two can figure that out later," Mallory explained, standing with the help of the arm of the couch. She really was pregnant, and Ravyn was shocked to think this, but she was excited. She was going to have a niece or nephew soon. She wasn't the best with kids whatsoever, but maybe things would be better since she was related to this one.
////
"So how did you get us this apartment?" Ravyn asked. They had gotten a tour, she had changed into a normal outfit and out of her uncomfortable dress, and now the two couples sat at the dining room table, sipping sparkling cider. Nate had explained that since Ravyn and Ace were underage and Mallory was pregnant, he wasn't allowing  any champagne for anyone. Because apparently he had a right to be the protective big brother now.
"It's our old place. Dad bought it for us when we first got married, and we've lived here since. I paid him back for it, so it's completely ours now, but we've moved into a house now that we've got a baby girl on the way." Nathaniel grinned at the thought of his child. Ravyn had to admit that as pissed as she was at him for being so distant, she was also happy that he was happy. And Mallory seemed absolutely perfect for him.
"Thank you, then, for giving it to us," Ravyn replied with a smile. Atticus was being strangely quiet, but she was pretty sure he was too happy staring at her and processing everything and that was why he was, for once in his life, not talking.
"We had to do something to make up for not being part of your life for so long," Mallory laughed. She eyed the two lovebirds, particularly the groom who couldn't stop staring at Ravyn.
"Well, we better get going and leave you two to have some fun. And there's one condition of living here." Ravyn's head perked up. Of course there was a catch.
"Biweekly dinners with us, especially once Nathalie is born. We can't deprive her from her amazing aunt," Mallory explained, giving her sister-in-law a heartwarming smile. They had named their daughter after Ravyn and Nate's mom? That was. That was perfect.
Before Ravyn could stop thinking about her brother honoring their mom, it was just Ravyn and Ace in their new apartment.
"I like them," he announced, standing and pulling out Ravyn's chair. As soon as she stood up, he was carrying her in his arms again.
"Are you gonna spend the rest of our lives carrying me everywhere?" she challenged, ignoring his earlier declaration.
"Probably. I don't want to let you out of my arms ever again, now that I finally have you." Ravyn grinned up at her husband, still processing the idea that she had married her best friend.
"Good, because I happen to like cuddling with you."
////
A matter of minutes later, and after Ace had found some of his clothes that Ravyn had stolen, they were both in pajamas, cuddling on their new bed and playing That's What She Said while some black and white movie played on their tv.
If this was what happiness felt like, then Ravyn never, ever wanted to let it go.