Chapter 24

DAVID KNEW ART WAS right. Avery's parents would be in so much pain on behalf of their daughter. He would need to take the risk to prove his sincerity in getting the ultimate chance he was aiming for. He could not think of anything but to speak to her in any way possible. Maybe he should listen to Art. He should do things according to Avery's terms.

***

"You son of...!" David's face numbed, and he was sure it swelled when his father's knuckles slammed into his jaw. Still in shock, his mother stood beside him, watching the scenes unfold. It was the first time his father had ever hit him. And he was sure by the redness and fierceness he saw in his father's eyes that he wanted to hit him even more.

The scene froze when he immediately kneeled in front of his father. Head bowed down, he tried to grasp his father's hands but pulled away. His mother came to stand between them.

"I'm sorry, Dad... Mom." David's voice croaked.

"Sorry just won't cut it, asshole! What were you thinking? Did your dick grow bigger than your brain?" exclaimed his father.

"Stop that language! Let us talk about this calmly. What happened? Can someone tell me what this is all about?" His mother's plea echoed in their living room.

David knew the time would come. So when Art left him last night, he visited his parents. He wanted to follow Avery's previous message and admit the situation to his parents before they met Avery's parents for dinner. But hard knuckles greeted his face when his father came from an early morning golf session. It reminded him that Friday mornings were golf days for the older men in their families. But he was late in breaking the news. His father already knew.

"Yeah, why don't you tell your mother what a sickening monster you are, David!" His father tried to punch him again, but his mother blocked his father's action.

"What the hell is going on? You are both making me sick! Please, someone, tell me now!" His mother started sobbing.

"You're right! This asshole of a son we have will be the death of us. I just talked to Avery's dad. There will be no wedding! They're calling it off. Heard that, David?" His father's voice was full of spite.

His mother's gaze darted between David's and his father's faces. "Why? What happened? Did something happen to Avery? What did you do?" His mother lifted his head to make him face her.

"I'm sorry, mom. It's my fault. But I promise I'll beg Avery to forgive me and marry me still."

His father was shaking his head. "This asshole cheated on Avery. Then, even after the poor girl had forgiven him and still agreed to marry him, he couldn't keep his dick zipped, and he impregnated another woman."

His mother's knees weakened after hearing her husband's words. Before his mother could fall to the ground, his father instantly caught her and guided her to a seat. Silently, David followed. His action was not only causing Avery pain but also his parents. Yet, his mother's disappointed and sad gaze never left him.

Silence erupted in their living room. No one dared to speak, even after everyone got seated. His mother's crying followed. 

"How could you do that? What happened to the son we raised? Did we not teach you to be a decent man?" his mother asked between sobs.

"Mom, please don't blame yourself. This is all on me. But, unfortunately, I gave in to the temptation."

"Temptation, my ass!" his father shouted. "I thought you were smart? Where did all my dollars paid for your Harvard law school go? Did you not know why your brain and heart are on top of your body? To remind you that those two have more power than your dick!"

"Stop, you two!" His mother's face was full of worry. "How is Avery?"

"What do you expect? After witnessing this dickhead's other woman give birth, she learned a few hours after that she's also pregnant." His father scowled at him.

"Oh, my God!" His mother gasped in shock as she covered her mouth with her hand.

"Mom... Dad. I'm sorry for ruining your reputation. For causing this embarrassment to the family."

His father couldn't hide his disbelief. "You turned into a dickhead! Do you think this is about reputation? This is about you becoming a disgusting devil, impregnating a random woman while you are engaged to your fiancee, whom you selfishly got pregnant while living in your web of lies!"

"We must make sure we meet them for dinner later and talk to them. I want to ensure Avery is okay." his mother declared.

"I will come with you guys. I want to see Avery. I need to talk to the Jacksons," David said.

"You are not going anywhere near the Jacksons, the more Avery. Stay still in your apartment, or better, go to hell! I don't care! Her dad has said he doesn't want to see even the tip of your hair. You don't know what a father could do to an asshole who broke his only daughter's heart. Just be thankful they still want to talk to us, given the mess you've created," his father commanded.

"I'm so disappointed in you, David. How are you sure you're the father of that random woman's child?" asked his mother.

"Yeah, how sure are you? I wonder how you get recognized as one of the top lawyers in this state? Leaving Avery behind here, going after a random woman in LA. Uh! I can't take your stupidity! All your lies and actions made me feel sick to my stomach!" yelled his father.

"What did we do wrong for you to do these things?" His mother was devastated; her eyes were full of pity and regret.

"It's not your fault, mom. Nobody is to blame but myself. I thought I was doing the right thing in protecting Avery, avoiding her getting hurt again."

"Have you not watched any films on cheating and its after-effects? You idiot!" His father's words were nasty but true.

"You both, please stop!" His mother shouted. She turned to face David. "You stay here and wait for your father and me to return from the Jacksons. Our conversation doesn't end here."

 Though David was a few months shy of twenty-eight, her mother held power over him and his father whenever their family argued. He realized in his fucked up situation that he didn't need more people opposite his corner, especially his family. His parents loved Avery. It was a bonus that both their parents clicked immediately.

He remembered their family's extraordinary times, vacations, dinners, and holidays. His heart ached. How did he not consider it all before he brought his and Avery's perfect lives into a deep mess? The feeling of heaviness and pounding sound engulfed his head. Reality hit him. Hard. Painful. He didn't hurt Avery. He broke her and the hearts of everyone who'd been part of their relationship, Avery's parents and his. But it wasn't just Avery that he'd betrayed. He'd also undermined the bond their families had formed from being together.

How could he ever fix this?

Before he could get over the painful thoughts in his mind, the chime from his phone woke him.

B: What gives? You don't expect me to discharge myself from this hospital alone with an infant out from my vagina twenty-four hours later?

***