Chapter 33

A WOMAN IN HER mid-forties came running toward Avery and the little girl. She immediately checked the little girl and looked at Avery.

"I'm her nanny." The woman gasped for air as she massaged her chest. "God! Ella, you gave me a coronary!"

Avery stood up and introduced herself. Ella clasped her tiny little hand to Avery's.

"Why would you do that, Ella? I told you to wait for me. I was washing my hands." The woman paused and took a deep breath. "Your dad would have killed me."

Avery patted the nanny's shoulder. "I think she followed me when I came out of the bathroom."

"She's pretty and nice," Ella told her nanny, giggling, hand still clasped on Avery's.

"So sorry, Miss Avery. Good thing she followed you and not some creep. This is the first time she did this, though."

"It's alright. I thought this cutie was lost. I'm glad you found her."

When Avery saw her parents approaching, she fixed Ella's hair. "It was nice meeting you, Ella. Don't leave your nanny again. Promise?"

Ella removed their clasped hands and motioned for Avery to make a pinky promise sign with her. Afterward, she hugged Avery tight. Then, Avery cupped her cute little face and kissed her forehead.

"Take care, Ella."

"Bye, Miss Pretty," Ella answered, waving goodbye as her nanny ushered her in the other direction.

When Avery stood up, she touched her belly and wished her little bean would be as cute as Ella.

Their flight from Charlotte to Daytona was uneventful. The trusted caretaker in her grandparent's home picked them up at the airport. Along the way, the bright afternoon sun reminded Avery of what she wished for in coming to Florida—a fresh and bright start in life.

***

Their first few weeks in Palm Coast comprised daily morning walks on Flagler Beach and trips to several restaurants they had missed for years of not visiting. Since the death of her grandparents, their visits to the retirement home had stopped. Now, more than ever, she was thankful that her grandparents left the house to her as part of her inheritance. 

After weeks of comparing three different OB/Gynecologists from the list she got from Boston, Avery went for the one with the nearest clinic to her location.

"If only we didn't schedule your dad's annual general check-up today, we would love to come with you," said her mom.

"Don't worry about it, Mom. Today's visit is just the first of more to come. Just drop me off at the clinic, please." Her mom nodded unhappily.

After much convincing, Avery's parents gave in and dropped her off outside the clinic of the OB she had chosen. While waiting for her turn, she filled up the usual paperwork. The doctor seemed popular, for the line for her day's appointment was a blockbuster. Avery was thankful they accepted her at the time she requested.

Realizing it might take her over thirty minutes to wait, she scrolled over her text messages. Unfortunately, since they flew to Florida, she only replied to Shelly's messages.

David: Thinking of you and our baby. Please be safe. I will always love you.
*

Mama T: Hope you guys have a safe flight. We're always here for you. Take care.
*