Chapter 2

Branch snored loudly, as he lay on the ground, sleeping in the grass next to Poppy.

     "Ugh," he groaned, slowly beginning to blink his eyes open, as he sat up, putting his hands on his back, to stretched. "Ow," he whined, his back aching from spending the night sleeping on the hard ground instead of his specially made Tempur-Pedic mattress.

He looked beside himself, seeing Poppy sleeping on the ground next to him, drooling, her hair a complete mess.

"Poppy," Branch said softly, shaking her gently to try and wake her up. "Poppy. Get up. We fell asleep."
"Five more minutes, dad," she whined, rolling over so her back was facing Branch. "I don't wanna go to school."
"Poppy," Branch sighed, rolling his eyes. "It's me."
"Hugh?"

She slowly opened her eyes, looking sleepily up at Branch.

"Oh... hi, Branch," she yawned, as she sat up, stretching out her body.

     Branch rose to his feet, helping Poppy up after him, before looking up, suddenly noticing all the trolls surrounding the two of them, seeming worried.

"Uh... guys? What are you all starring at?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion. They didn't answer the question. They just kept starring at the two of them, their eyes wide in shock.

Poppy looked at them all, cocking her head slightly.

"Is everything ok?" she asked, concerned about what was going on, but they didn't answer her either.

Branch looked at everyone, confused about why they were staring at the two of them. And more importantly... why wouldn't they answer them? They were acting like the two trolls weren't even there...

     Slowly, Poppy turned, her eyes suddenly widening in shock at what she saw behind her.

"Uh... B... B... Branch..." she said nervously, tapping Branch's shoulder slowly.

     Branch turned, his eyes opening wide as well, when he saw what Poppy was so freaked out about. Laying on the ground in front of them, were their own bodies.

     Slowly, Branch walked over to himself, kneeling down, as he lifted his own arm up into the air.

     "What... what is happening?" Poppy asked, her voice trembling, as she walked up next to Branch. "I... I don't know," he answered, still looking down at himself in shock. "We must be in some sort of dream state or something."
"Can you say that in English?" Poppy groaned, rolling her eyes at Branch, as she crossed her arms.

     Branch sighed, looking up at Poppy in frustration.

     "We're asleep," he said simply.
"Ooohhh..." Poppy said slowly, understanding what Branch was telling her, before slowly looking back at her and Branch's bodies, still laying motionless on the ground in front of them.

     "So... this is a dream?" she asked.
"Well... not exactly..." Branch explained, rising up to his feet. "It seems more like we're having some sort of out of body experience. You see... in a hypothetical, self-contained..."

     Poppy looked at him, blankly, and Branch sighed again, knowing he'd have to dumb it down for her.

     "We're ghosts," he said dryly.
"Ooohhh... wait... we're dead!?" Poppy panicked.

     "No!" Branch said quickly, trying to calm her down. "Don't worry. We're still alive."
"Than how are we ghosts?" Poppy asked, still terrified about the situation they were in.

     "I... I don't know," Branch answered, beginning to pace as he tried to think.
"What do you mean, you don't know!?" Poppy yelled, panicking. "You're the genius!"