Chapter 10

"AHHHHH!" Poppy and Branch screamed out in terror, as they slid down the wall of the hole like a long dangerous slide. "AHHHHH!"

At the bottom of the pit, they tumbled out of the tunnel, daylight shining brightly down onto the two trolls.

They both breathed heavily in fear, laying flat on their backs, as they looked up at the sky, their eyes wide in terror.

"P... Poppy... are... are you ok?" Branch finally asked, slowly rising to his feet so he could help her up to hers. "Yeah..." she answered, her heart still racing in her chest. "I'm fine. What about you?"
"I'm fine," he assured, his voice shaking a bit. "Now let's get out of here before that thing comes ba..."

He turned around, freezing in place, as his eyes widened in shock. Right in front of him was a massive mountain, poking up high into the clouds.

"Whoa..." he said in amazement. He'd never seen anything so tall before... not even the tree he had to climb the day before, and that thing was huge...

Finally, he pulled the scrapbook out of his hair, looking at the map instead of it.

"According to this..." he said, looking at the page carefully. "The stone of dreams is at the top of this mountain."

Poppy looked up at the incredibly steep mountain determinedly, taking a deep breath.

"Let's do this!" she suddenly shouted, quickly running to climb the mountain, without even thinking. "Poppy! Wait!" Branch warned, but she had already begun to climb.

Obviously... she didn't make it vary far before falling right back down to the ground.

"Ok..." she said, slowly rising to her feet, as she rubbed the back of her head. "Let's do this... some other way..."

     "Don't worry," Branch said, smiling at Poppy, as he walked over to her. "I'll get us up there."

He reached into his hair, searching around in it for a moment, before finally pulling out a rope with a spike on the end of it.

     "Do you always carry that around with you?" Poppy asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Of course," Branch chuckled. "You know me. Crazy prepared."

     He looked up at the mountain, and then began to twirl the rope over his head, before finally flinging it upwards, so that the spike would stick into the top of the mountain.

Branch smiled at Poppy, proud that his plan had worked, and then began climbing up the mountain using the rope to pull himself up.

"Ok, Poppy," he called down to her. "It's sturdy. Come on up."

     Poppy smiled, beginning to climb up behind him.

—————

     It took half the day, but finally, Branch reached the summit of the mountain, pulling himself up onto the snowy ledge.

Once he was on solid ground, he knelt down, reaching his hand out to Poppy.

"Grab my hand, Poppy," he told her. "I'll pull you up."

She listened to his request, reaching up for his hand, but right as he grabbed her, his hand disappeared out of her grasp.

"Poppy!" Branch screamed out in pure terror, watching as she fell off the tall mountain. "BRANCH!" she called back up to him, her eyes wide in fear. "HELP!"