2

Eric

He couldn't take his eyes off them

He couldn't take his eyes off them. Off her. They seemed like an island in the midst of his people, fascinating and foreign. There was a boisterousness about them, something wild and free, even though they were somehow dignified. Some of his people felt confined in dragonheim and that something called to them.

Though his people could leave the city, they couldn't leave the range. As vast as the mountains were, it was still confinement. Many, himself included, hated the restraints placed upon them. The discontent had been growing, now the presence of the werewolves was like lighting a match for an already toxic situation.

They could only be described as freedom. They seemed to represent it and he yearned for it. Only his presence wouldn't be welcomed. It fascinated him, meeting people that didn't like him when he'd always been popular. So much so that he couldn't help watching them when he could, trying to figure them out.

He knew their instincts were more developed than his, so much so that they were aware of what he was doing. Yet they seemed able to ignore him. It should've made him angry, uncomfortable at the very least, but all he was was intrigued. They seemed unimpressed by his status and he could see that even though they respected Andre, there wasn't any of the reserve his people had for him.

He hated being fascinated by the wolves, but he couldn't help himself, couldn't help watching her. At some level, he knew he was now border-lining creepy, but the draw Dani had for him was magnetic. Was it something to do with her being a werewolf? While dragons were possessive of their mates before completing the bond, they didn't have this near-obsessive need to be close. This need to touch, to spend time gazing at their mate like lovesick idiots.

The only reason why he hadn't sought some magical solution to what he'd first thought was a sickness was seeing Andre and Cari acting rather lovesick around each other. They were hardly ever away from each other, so he didn't know how they'd react, but he felt like a piece of him was missing without Dani.

Why had he thought binding himself to a wolf was a good idea? Well, he knew the answer to that, and it wasn't just about believing Dani had been the hidden wolf. Would it make a difference to her indifference to him if she knew? Eric though hated to explain himself, which left seduction as the only option, aside from downright manipulation. Which he had no problem with.

"They are causing quite a stir, aren't they?" His mother observed as she came to stand beside him.

"Yes, and more discontent." He agreed.

His mother sighed. "It has risen since that wolf girl took over half our people. Some of them had no idea something dissatisfied them until she interfered."

He turned to look at her, his brow raised to emphasize the question. "You're not blaming her, are you?"

His mother straightened, her body stiffening just a bit. "Of course. If she hadn't used her strange powers on them, our people would still be content to stay here."