3

Dani

Dani

Was it possible to build yourself up from the ground a second time? Twenty-six-year-old Dani asked herself as she looked at her reflection in the mirror and wondered at the person she saw there. Pain reflected in the depths of her brown gaze, unmistakable for any observant person to see. She was surrounded by observant people.

Her eyes were dry, too dry as she couldn't even bring herself to cry anymore. She was just tired, so tired she wanted to lie down and die. Yet she knew she couldn't. Giving up had never been part of her nature and even when she wanted to, she couldn't bring herself to. So she forced herself to stand up straight, took a deep breath and shoved the pain so deep it wouldn't rear its head during the day.

It still amazed her how her sorrow-filled eyes shifted to a wary nature that hid the shattered aspect of her soul. Dani didn't want to be a burden to her loved ones and didn't want to see any pity in their eyes as they recalled that her wolf was gone. That she was now a human with some of the abilities of a wolf.

She could no longer run under the full moon and feel its rays against her fur as the wind caressed it. She could no longer experience the freedom of knowing she had the stamina to run for a week without tiring. The world's scents were now dulled, no longer the flavour she experienced with every breath. Even her healing abilities were slower.

Now Eric had enacted a death sentence on her with his callous sense of superiority. Dani was glad she was the one he'd bound to him instead of Cari, her cousin deserved to be happy even if it proved short-lived. Still, it hurt that he hadn't even had the decency to find out the cost of his selfishness. But she'd long given up her idealistic belief in humanity.

With a toss of her head and another deep breath, Dani left the extravagant suite of rooms she'd been given. The apartment was ridiculous in its luxury. Like the one that had been given to Cari and Andre, it was three-storey but hers housed more beautiful delicate antiques and was larger. She didn't want to think about why she'd been given the preference.

There were guards at her door, guards that had been assigned for her protection, and one of Eric's friends was also waiting with them for her. She paused in her step with her hand still on the door. He smiled at her, an open smile that would've had her liking him if it weren't for the fact that he was a dragon.

"Lady Daniella, good morning." he bowed to her in an old-fashioned way.

"Good morning." Dani acknowledged. While werewolves didn't put much stock in them, she did have a title as the daughter of a Viscount and the mate of a Count. Though she suspected the guy was referring to her title as Eric's mate.

"I'm Cian, here to escort you to breakfast." He informed her.

Dani leaned her hip against the door and then folded her arms across her middle. "Really?" She questioned. "Why?"