7

Eric

"Daniella?" he questioned, a frown marring his smooth brow and echoing in his metallic eyes as he realised she wasn't even slowing down

The set look on her face promised a lot of pain. Her breaths were even, her pace steady as was her determination. As she drew closer, he saw the rage clouding the beauty of her eyes, the pain. Was she that angry with him? He hadn't had that impression earlier on but here she was, looking as if the only thing she wanted in life was to end him.

"Dani?" he questioned, unsure and using the nickname thinking it'd get a reaction from her but she ignored him.

Eric didn't know if the same applied to werewolf bonds but he knew his dragonic bond with Dani didn't allow for either of them to hurt each other. It'd turn against the mate who tried to hurt the other; the last thing he wanted was anything to happen to her. Which meant he had to save her from herself.

He had no idea what could have happened in the short time since he'd left her but he was sure he'd be able to reason with her. She had changed clothes from earlier but these clothes seemed dirty and he couldn't figure out why she'd have done that. And for some reason even though she was now closer and heading directly for him he couldn't seem to hold her gaze, to even meet it.

"Stop!" A sharp tenor voice intruded onto the quiet forest, the harsh tone full of hate. "Do you think you can get away from me so easily?"

Eric's head jerked up and away from Daniella, his sharp gaze finding the male standing a few yards away from Daniella. He was tall but not as tall as Eric's oversized length, his face was set in anger and he had eyes only for Daniella as she stood like a scared rabbit trying to find the strength to defy the predator before her.

Why had she listened to this prick?

The guy laughed, a dark laugh that showed his enjoyment of her helplessness. "An alpha command. You might be my true mate but until I mark you, you're still just a beta. And we both know I'm never going to mark you."

"Is that why your sick family does it?" Daniella asked with scorn. "You're too cowardly to have a mate who will be just as powerful as you are? One you won't be able to control?"

Eric's heart twisted inside his chest as he realised this was Daniella's true mate. He concentrated on his face, something in him needing to compare himself to the other male, something he'd never done before in his life. The alpha had blonde hair and ice-blue eyes that now looked like chips of said ice. He had those classic looks that old-time actors had been known for, the kind of looks that had people automatically trust them. Only Eric had a feeling the male wasn't to be trusted.

"No," the alpha sneered. "I prefer a mate who's not a mongrel."

The swift pain that painted itself on Daniella's face had anger erupting through Eric's veins. It erupted like fire through him and before he'd registered what he was doing his hands had shot out to incinerate the other male. How dare he hurt his Daniella? She might be the alpha's true mate but she now belonged to him and Eric wasn't going to stand for anyone insulting her.