16

Dani

Dani

She gaped after Eric for a second before shaking her head and smoothing her hair back. What did he have to be angry about anyway? She hadn't been the one to put them in this situation. If anyone had a right to be angry and bang doors after them, it was her.

With a resigned sigh she stood up then followed him out of her bedroom. As she hadn't heard the door to the suite being opened, Dani was surprised to see Eric wasn't in the sitting room. Even without her wolf, her hearing was still good enough to have heard him moving through the suite, but she hadn't.

With a frown marring her face, Dani went through the rest of the place even though she was sure he wouldn't be there. What the heck had just happened? she wondered as she stood in the middle of her sitting room. Then she remembered that Eric had opened the door to what should have been her room last night and yet they had ended up in his.

"Stupid dragon magic," she muttered as she suddenly felt helpless and vulnerable. The hole inside her grew with every moment that she was alone. The knawing pang of a loss no words could ever express.

Fear once again gained a hold of her and she realised she was just trying to stave off the inevitable. She could try to surround herself with other people but there would be moments when she would be alone. Where she would have to face what had happened. Right now she didn't want to be alone, to face reality.

And it galled her to realise and admit that as caustic as she sometimes tried to be with Eric she needed him. He had already seen her at her worst, and their bond made it hard for her to hide her feelings from him. So he was the only person who could keep her from unravelling. Her family on the other hand knew her too well, knew how strong she normally was and she couldn't stand the thought of them seeing her as she was right then.

Since she would rather die than chase after the dragon, she had to find another way. 

There was a floor-length mirror just inside her sitting room and she walked towards it to take a long look at herself. There was a haunted quality to her eyes that had never been there before, uncertainty marring her strong features that made her vulnerability clear to see. 

Taking a deep breath, she schooled her features into the mask she was used to. Only this time it took more effort to bury her emotions deep, to school her features into her normal wary mask. Dani just felt tired and overwhelmed. How long was she supposed to be strong?

The day after the first marking should be an intimate day spent with your new mate. She had never dreamt she would get to be marked and now that she was Dani found she couldn't help being wistful. A part of her wanted to have that, to just lose herself in the joy of finally having a mate.

But was she joyful?

She no longer knew how she felt about Eric. From the moment she had met him, she had been attracted to him but there was the fact that he was a dragon. She shouldn't be feeling anything for a dragon. Her sense of loyalty, the thing that made her a werewolf more than having a wolf, rejected the very thought. It didn't matter if she would never shift, she was still a werewolf.