CHAPTER 25

IRIS

I'm dreaming again. This time, I was floating, light as a feather.

"Iris," someone called my name.

"Iris," a familiar voice of a man

When I opened my eyes, I saw Albert's face. He was alive, and I broke down crying.

"Help me," Albert said, and he vanished like a cloud of smoke.

My eyes opened, and I realized I was dreaming. I was floating, but not in the air. I could see bubbles everywhere. And then it hit me suddenly. I could never be wrong. I was underwater, and a strange sea plant supported every part of my body. Why am I breathing here? Where was I? I turned around and found myself inside a large room with no corners. The walls changed colors as if they were living like they had a life of their own.

"Good lord, you're awake now, girl," I heard a female voice say. I searched around, and my eyes grew big in horror.

I knew I wasn't dreaming anymore; she was a mermaid, and she was coming towards me. Was this true? Why did I understand her? Where the hell am I? I cried out much louder. Her presence terrified me.

The craziest part was that there were two more. One of the strange creatures was a female, half-human on top, with tentacles at the bottom that looked like an octopus. The other was an old-looking merman. I'm already insane because I saw things that were hard to believe.

I remembered what had happened last night at the beachfront. If those things were real, was this one too? I cried and cried because I didn't know what was happening in my life right now. All the things that had given me no choice but to believe seemed insane. Even more insane was that I couldn't feel the tears falling from my eyes. I started to lose my mind and panicked until I slipped from the strange sea plant supporting me. I felt the force of falling or drowning. I don't know; it was hard to explain. The female mermaid caught me in her arms while I was frantic.

"Please! Have mercy, madame!" I exclaimed.

She put her left palm before me, and bright white lights radiated. I felt a sudden warm sensation all over my body, calming me for no reason. The overflowing anxiety inside of me faded, and then I stopped crying. What did she do to me?

"I am Hector's friend," the mermaid said. When I heard Hector's name, I became more relaxed. "He saved you, and we saved you too," she said, putting me back on the sea plant support.

"Are you aliens too?" came out of my mouth. I wiped off my tears, even though I couldn't feel them.

"Yes, he was here a while ago. Hector sought help from the other alien races we knew," my brows furrowed. What was she talking about? "Don't be afraid, girl. We are friends. We have to protect you and your fellow humans."

She held my hands as I felt her hands, which were soft as a pillow. I couldn't feel any bones.

"Those monsters you saw last night had taken his team. We sought help to save them. We will battle them because we found out that they have captured a lot of humans, too," she said again.

And then Albert came to mind. He was still alive and in Crey's hands. In my dreams, Albert told me, I think he was seeking help, and I must save him.

"I'm Marinagua, by the way. She is my tita, tita Culasa, and my dad, Pasipiko."

The fear inside me was gone now, and the way she said it was comforting, knowing she also had an aunt and a father. I remembered my whole family. Where are they now? I hoped Crey didn't get them.