CHAPTER 34

ERIER

I went back to the house to get extra armor. I told Alta not to leave Ieverin, which she assured me she wouldn't do. She almost stopped me from going to the battle, but it was a personal decision. We lost track of our communication in Xyleveria so we couldn't call for help.

Before I left and returned to the station, I promised myself that I would cast aside all the resentment I felt for the group. There's no time for drama in times like this. I won't let it happen that only two of us can return safely to our home planet. We had failed the mission, but at least I did my best to save the team. One casualty was already enough. We could explain what happened later, and I knew our authority could understand us.

Until now, I'm still wondering why Crey and I had the same mission. How did our authority come up with that kind of idea? Do we have a connection with the Alpha-Draconians? I was so embarrassed at the Alien Convention when I learned this.

I brought the Aston Martin back to the station and was already wearing my armor. I parked outside the barrier and entered a glowing vertical sphere serving as the station's gateway. Since my face had no cover, no one questioned me when I appeared at the entrance. Chamie and Marinagua greeted me, and both looked anxious.

"I thought Iris was with you," Chamie said.

"I'm alone. Why?"

"She's gone missing," Marinagua answered.

"She went back to her community," a voice cut in. We looked around and saw Ezeros coming towards us. "Her suit had a tracking device," Ezeros uttered. My chest beat like a thousand drums with worry. "We recognized her in our tracking system."

"What the hell was she thinking?" I exclaimed, "I'll save her."

I ran out of the station. They had prevented me from going, but I was concerned about Iris's safety. I darted through the woods until I reached the highway at the end. My armor covered my face as I ran fast. Suddenly, the car popped out of nowhere, and I climbed in. It bolted towards Poblacion.

***

I stepped out of the car as soon as it stopped somewhere. I strolled around the area, curious to know if I had arrived. All I could see was thick white fog enveloping the entire place.

When I turned my gaze upward, I saw the top of the archway. However, the problem was that I couldn't get in. My vision scanned the entrance and detected a barrier. These monsters had set up a force field around the town's perimeter. I also saw some of the Alpha-Draconians patrolling from a distance. I rushed to a tree and hid in its thick, tall trunk, thinking of how I might gain access. I had to find a way.

I shifted my gaze towards the ground and thought I could bore into the earth and make a hole to reach the other side. I paced forward to a vacant lot where hardwood trees enveloped the area, which marked the border of Poblacion, a place with vast rice fields on the other side. As my right arm glowed and released visible energy, I was about to shoot a laser beam into the ground when I heard a vehicle approaching.

I halted, glanced at the highway, and darted toward it. Then I hid in one of the surrounding tall shrubs and peeked. A ten-wheeler truck approached and stopped at the front of the archway. I saw the two drivers in their monster form, and an idea struck me.

I shifted my gaze to the truck's rear and noticed it was clear. It carried one container module. I wondered what was inside it, but I didn't pay any attention and instead turned to the bottom of the truck.

I rolled onto the ground, went under the truck, and grasped the axle. Due to the fog around me and the dark setting, those alien monsters never noticed me. I turned off all the technology in my armor to lower my energy. They could no longer detect me.