16 • Vows Under The Moonlight

Veer

Veer

After bringing her in my chamber, I laid her on my bed. I tried to step aside but Payal was holding my sleeves tightly with her trembling hands. I could not move. I gazed at her face and saw the pure fear being plastered there.

Her eyes were on me. Tear stained face, red teary eyes, trembling lips. My heart felt a pain looking at her. I sat closer to her & hugged her. Her head rested against my chest. She also mind gripping my cloth.

" Why did not you run before? Could not you see the fire? " I asked, tried to scold her. But my voice became soft automatically hearing her sobs.

" I.... I... Couldn't un... understand.... when... " Her words couldn't continue after that.

I pulled closer. " You are not going to work there anymore " I ended up stating but then guilt hit me very badly. Does she even have another choice? It's only me who pushed her into this? I gritted my teeth being angry at myself. This secret will kill me.

" H.. Humm" My thoughts vanished away when I heard her voice. She was trying to say something but she was still trembling alot. Her words were not coming out.

( I)

I rubbed her back soothingly, tried to make her feel that everything is okay.

" Tum? Tum kya? " I whispered in her ear carefully.

( you? You what?)

" Humm... Dar..... Gaye the.. humein laga ki hum.... aj mar jayenge " I shut my eyes before planting a kiss on her hair. My heart raced hearing her words.

( I... I was scared... I thought I will die today)

" Pagal ho? Kuch hone dunga kya main? "

( are you mad? Will i let anything happen?)

I said and tear escaped from my eyes. I didn't understand that I was crying. I was crying for a girl. I was crying having her in my arms.

" Aap. " Parting her head little away, she looked at me. (You)

I looked at her face then. Her right cheek got a scar because of the fire. My fingers traced that carefully & she flinched visibly. I stopped and looked at her.

" Ap thik ho kya? " She asked.

( are you okay?)

My lips curved in a smile soon. I wanted to tell her that I could not even better than this as she is in my arms. But I remained silent.