25 • Banters & Butterflies

Payal

Payal

" Oh MY God payal!! What are you doinggggggg? " Chandni's voice pierced through my slumber

Rubbing and blinking my eyes, I sat down hurriedly as if today was going to be the last day of world.

She stared at me with wide eyes and a gaped mouth as if she was looking at a ghost.
Suddenly my mind flashed the memories of last night. I was sleeping with Rajkumaar. I looked at the side of my bed. It was empty. Rajkumaar was no longer there.

I think he left before I woke up. I looked down to my chest, the dupatta was placed there too. So he managed to leave after setting everything right.

" You haven't woke up yet. It's so late now. Wake up wake up! Hurry up! " Chandni urged me.

Why is she behaving like this today? Confused I, asked. " What happened? Why are you rushing so much? "

" Me? " Just as I asked that, she raised a brow and pointed at herself. " Not just me... The entire palace is in a rush "

" Oh? " My confusion persisted. "But why?"

" Maharaj ke atithi aa rahe hai kuch dino ke andar. Maharaj ka adesh hai ki mehel mein sab kuch thik thak hona chahiye. Unke khatir dari mein koi kami nhi honi chahiye. Warna Maharaj dand denge "

( maharaj's guests are arriving in a few days. It is his decree that everything in the palace must be in perfect order. The hospitality for his guests should lack nothing, lest Maharaj mete out punishment. )

Chandni informed me. Her urgency was palpable, her words tumbling out in rush.
I nodded to her and quickly got out of my bed. The palace was indeed a hive of activity and it was my duty to do my part as well.

I was picking up a a cloth to wear after freshing up and just then Chandni's words touched my ears.

" And above all these, other maids really hate you. They won't leave a chance to give you an earful even on your tiniest mistake. That's why I am being more attentive with you. I don't want you to be their prey" She whispered, her voice barely rising above a murmur.

Her soft yet laden words stirred something in me. I could almost feel the moist in my eyes. After coming in this grand palace, I found two person who have unconditional love for me. If one is rajkumaar then the second would be Chandni. Rajkumaar, with his silent strength, and Chandni, with her nurturing warmth, had filled the void left by my own father's indifference.

I could not stop myself from pulling her in a hug. " I love you. I seriously love you a lot " I confessed, my voice muffled against her shoulder. Her giggles were heard.
" You care about me a lot even though we are nothing to each other " I added.

Suddenly Chandni pulled away just enough to look at me. Her eyes were alight with a fierce tenderness. "Who told you that? We are sisters." she declared.