2 • A New Place

Payal

Payal

The sky was dark, moon was shining in the middle, casting a warm glow on the roads. And in this darkness I was riding with a prince. My destination was unknown to me.

I have no place to stay. Not just place. I was now left with no one to call mine. How could I tell him that?

" You are okay, right? See, you are alright with me " He told me again when I gave him nothing but silence. I could feel his worry from his words.

" I a.. am okay " I muttered lowly.

" Your place? " He asked again.

I licked my lips before saying " I d... don't have anywhere to go.. " Tears started to form in my eyes. I didn't want to disturb anyone anymore. Not even him. He already helped me alot. Saved my life... Filled my forehead with his own blood.... Nothing could be compared to that.

The ride suddenly became slow. I expected prince to be shocked and startled by my answer.

" You don't know where to go? " He asked again. " What were you doing in the brothel? "

I fisted my hands tightly. The memories flashed in my head. " My father..... " My words died and a sob came out.

" My father..... sold me to them... " I chocked on tears.

" What? " The tremor in his voice betrayed his shock. He also denied to accept the truth like me.

" He needed money... I was not of any use... So he came to this conclusion.. " I managed to tell him through sobs.

" Where is that man? He should be punished " Suddenly his tone of talking changed. I sensed his anger.

" No.. Please no...... Let him go... " Cupping his arm which was resting on my waist, I pleaded. I didn't want anything to happen to him. He was the last man I know on earth.

" Listen " He began.

I straightened my back and heard him properly.

" I will take you to Chandrapur. You will be safe there." Just as he threw the words, the grip was getting harder. I felt like the promise of keeping me safe was not just a share of few words. " But you can't reveal about this night to anyone. " He commanded.

" Ji " I whispered, hardly my voice was heard.

" Hm. Remember my words. The marriage will be a secret. I cannot reveal it in the kingdom. If possible try to forget about the marriage"  He stated.

I felt a sharp pain in my chest, thinking how life played this game with me. Firstly my family didn't accept me. And now.... My... Husband....

Husband word held too much weight. No. I could not call him that.