Shruti-Part 1- Fever

Shruti

I was currently going home after a long day at college. I was not feeling very well in the morning before leaving for college but now i was feeling terrible due to my headache and I think i have fever.I usually don't like to skip classes unless it is necessary. My brother Ankit had left for his work today morning otherwise he would not have allowed me to go study if I am unwell. He is a doctor and he must also come back home soon and then I will ask him for some medicine so that I start feeling good again. I reach home and lay on the sofa till Ankit comes back. Within no time I drift into sleep.

Ankit

I reach home after completing my shift for the day at the hospital. My younger sister must be back home by now but I can't hear any sound as if there is no one at home. But what do i see my baby sis is fast asleep on the sofa. She looks ill as her face appears pale, may be she is just tired. She is so sweet. I love her so much. I sit on the floor near her. The hair on the forehead must be disturbing so my fingers reach out to remove it. Just when I touch her forehead I realise she is burning up. I was right though, she is running a high fever. It is not good. I run to bring my medical bag to check upon her.

I quickly bring my bag and take out the thermometer and place it on her forehead to take her temperature. Within seconds it beeps and it shows 103°
It's way too high. She starts to wake up.

Shruti

I don't know when did I fall asleep but when I woke up I saw a worried face in my brother's face. He had a thermometer in his hand. I guess he found out that I have fever

"Hey Sis, can you tell me what happened?" He asked.

"I didn't feel very well in the morning before I left for college but I thought that I will be fine later on. But it seems that full day classes and practicals made my things worse. Now please can I get medicine. This fever and headache is killing me." I replied hoping he will give me tablets quickly.

"You were supposed to take rest today and skip college if you weren't feeling too good in the morning. Do you understand it"

"Yes I do, now please forgive me and give me medicine"

"Not now, first let me check upon you." He said placing his fingers on my wrist while looking at his watch.

He is not going to give me medicine until the whole checkup is done.

"Anything else other than fever and headache." He asks reaching out to take his stethoscope from the bag.

"Nothing else" I respond and then he places the end of the stethoscope on my chest and his face goes concentrated. I stay still. After a while he pulls out.

"Sit up and take deep breaths."
I do as instructed as he moves it around my back.

So finally he is done with the checkup now I was happy that I will be getting my medicine now but my face dropped when I saw him pulling out a syringe. He began filling it with a small bottle.

" No injections please Ankit."

" Shruti your fever is very high you need it."

" I am scared please can't you give me just tablets."

" I promise I will do it slowly. Please be brave for me."

I had to follow what my brother says so I gave up arguing and prepared myself for the worst feeling that was about to come.

" Turn towards that side."

I reluctantly rolled over and soon I felt him lifting my shirt and pulling my pants down and then the cold wipe. I started to tense up but suddenly he asked me "what did u study today ?"

I processed his question and began telling him what I studied today but before I could finish he cut me off by saying "It's over. You didn't even realise when it happened."

I was shocked to see him holding an empty syringe in his hand. I really didn't feel any pain. He is really good at giving injections. I know that but still get afraid of it.

"Come lay down and have some rest. I will bring you something to eat ." He says as he packs his things.

"Promise me you won't go to college when you feel ill from next time onwards." He said once again.

"Promise"

For the next 2 hours I continued to rest on the couch, munching over the food that Ankit brought me to eat and just relaxing.
I had started feeling much better now after having food and the medicines he gave me.

"Let's check you once again" he said and took my temperature.

"Thankgod your fever came down " he said relieved.

"OK go to bed and take rest and no going to college tomorrow even if your not ill" he said and after that we both went to our rooms and I immediately went to sleep.

Next day I woke up absolutely fine but as my brother had said I took a leave from college and took rest. He checked all my vitals before going to his work and told me to call him if I feel unwell. I agreed. I just love him so much he is best brother in the world.