Disha & Avani- Fever

Disha

My friend Avani and I stay together in our apartment. We moved out from our hometown to study and both of us now have pretty good jobs at MNC.

It's weekend and we went for shopping of grocrery and other necessary items today at daytime but Avani started feeling ill so we came back home early. She is running a fever and also feeling very weak . It's already late in the evening but Avani's health isn't improving. I think i should take her to visit a doctor right now.

"Let's go visit a doctor" I say to her.

"I only want to see Dr. Smriti and no one else." She whispers.

"Fine as you wish I call and check if she is at the clinic". I say and she nods without speaking anything. She is too tired to say anything. I feel bad for her.

Dr Smriti is very good. Both of us see her only when we feel ill. We just cannot rely on any other doctor in this new place.

I call at the clinic and get an appointment. But the receptionist tells me that it is open for only an hour more. So we need to reach there asap.

I help Avani to get ready and take her to the clinic as fast as we can.Once we reach there, I help Avani to sit in the waiting area while I go to reception to get her checked in.

To my surprise Dr. Smriti just left the clinic as there was a big emergency for one of her patients which she couldn't delay. That's why both of us like her because besides being a good doctor she is very caring and kind hearted towards her patients.

The receptionist told me that she left Dr Rohan here at the clinic so that he could attend Avani. He is also a very good doctor. That was the only solution right now but this situation put me in a fix. How will I persuade Avani to see someone other than Dr Smriti?

If I don't tell her right now, she will be shocked to see the new doctor and might say something in front of him which shouldn't happen. So I told her the whole scenario before heading to the doctor's cabin.

"I will not see someone else, I had told you before. Let's go home" she said

"I know you want to see only Dr. Smriti but she isn't available right now and you need to see a doctor compulsorily. I can't take you home in this condition. Dr Rohan is very good. Come let's go inside." I tried to explain her.

After a lot of discussions between us, she finally agreed but only on one condition that next time I will do whatever she says which I agreed to. Then we go inside the doctor's cabin.

We enter the room to see a young doctor seated on his chair behind his desk focused on reading in some reports. He had his stethoscope around his neck and was wearing specs. When we enter he puts down his papers and looks at us.

"She is Avani and I am her friend Disha" I introduce both of us. He smiles and guides Avani to sit beside him. I took a seat in one of the spare chairs.

"Avani had been running a fever since morning but her temperature went high a couple of hours ago. Besides that she is feeling very week that she can barely walk" I explained him.

"Don't worry you will start feeling better very soon" he says to Avani who is keeping her head down all the time.

"Let's get your vitals first" He says and quickly grabs a thermometer. He places it on her forehead and waits it to beep. He frowns reading the temperature.

He then takes his stethoscope and places it on her chest. After a while he asks her to take deep breaths while he listens to her breathing.

He continues the exam by taking blood pressure, pulse and everything else he needed to do. Avani is sitting so quietly and letting him do his job without any interruption that I feel so proud of her.

"Her fever is very high, she needs to have an injection to get it under control. Besides that I will also prescribe some medicines" he said.

Avani gave me "I will not take an injection from him" look.

"Why don't you give me only tablets" She said.

"Tablets won't do much now. Your fever is very high for it. You need to have an injection" He says much calmly.

"Please go and lie down on the table" He directs her.

"You are giving me this injection in my arms right" she asked him.

"No, this is heavy dose can't be given in arms" He says to her in calm tone once again. He is showing so much of patience in handling her. I like that.

"Common Avani just lie down you are not afraid of an injection." I interrupted while taking her to the table so that she won't argue with him anymore.

I forcefully make her sit on the table and try to make her understand that she needs to have this shot no matter she doesn't want it.

Finally I manage to get her under control and she lies down on her tummy and I adjusted her clothes so that she is ready to take the shot. She will take revenge from me later on for this.

"Just relax Avani, no need to be scared for it, It will not hurt much." Dr Rohan said while holding the needle in his hand. "Just take a deep breath" he said wiping the area.

I saw Avani closing her eyes and clenching her fist in fear but Dr Rohan did the shot very quickly just earning a small whine from her.

"All done, you were so brave." He praised her and left the room. I was expecting Avani to be mad at me but surprisingly she didn't utter a word.

Dr. Rohan explained me the medicines she needed to take and handed over the prescription to me. Avani thanked him after coming out which I never expected from her. I took the medicines from the pharmacy and left for home.

The next morning Avani started feeling good. She woke me up by tickling my stomach and then she ran after me in the whole apartment to beat me. Both of us sit down on the sofa to catch our breathing. And then we burst out laughing. Both of us were happy that she was fine again. I was happy that she was not angry with me.

"Dont forget the promise you made , you will do as I say" she reminded me.

"Yes Madam" I accepted hoping she won't make me do something which is difficult for me.