Sisters - Checkup and Vaccines

Avantika

I had to visit my doctor today for a checkup. Since I am 18 years old I knew I had to go alone my mom wouldn't go with me for it. It wasn't a big deal for me because I wasn't afraid of checkups and needles. I was now quite comfortable with Dr Viren too since I had been seeing him only since I was a teenager.

My mom dropped a bomb on me an hour ago telling me that I had to take my little sister Ananya along with me for her checkup too since she was busy at work and couldn't do so. When I said that I cannot handle her she told me that I have to learn taking responsibility since I am not a kid anymore.

Taking Ananya for a checkup was very difficult for me. Don't take me wrong I love her very much she is cute, funloving, cheerful, energetic, full of life but really mischievous. Although she is 15 now I wonder when will she grow up. Mom told me that both of us had to get some vaccines updated today. It was not an issue for me but Ananya wasn't a fan of needles. So it was going to be really difficult for me to handle her. I really hope that the checkup goes well and I am able to stand up on my mom's expectations.

So here we are sitting In the exam room waiting for Dr. Viren to come. I didn't tell Ananya about the vaccine. She will run away hearing it I didn't want that.

"Mom told me that both of us just have our checkups today. I am happy that I won't be getting any shots today." Ananya spoke pulling me out of my thoughts.

What? She thinks she is not getting shots today. What is she upto.

"Did mom tell you that!" I inquired.

"Mom told me that nothing will be done which will hurt me. It means that no needles will be involved. And if I would be getting it wouldn't mom come and made sure that I get it." She replied smiling.

Oh Mom sent me with that responsibility that you get it. Just that Ananya isn't aware of it. The fact that it won't hurt is true. Dr Viren is so good at giving injections that one doesn't even feel it. Atleast I have never felt pain till now.

Dr Viren enters the room along with a nurse. He is in his scrubs, his name batch on his chest, a stethoscope hanging around his neck, a tablet on his hand and a big smile on his face.

"Hello Avantika and Avani!!! I hope both of you are keen to get your checkup done." He spoke energetic as ever. Yes more than ever.

"Ofcourse we are" I spoke giving a smile.

"Ananya go with the nurse to get your height and weight, till then I will have a chat with Avantika." Dr Viren directed her to go.

"But let Avantika go first. She is elder than me then she should first." Ananya opposed.

"Ok Avantika can go first but don't you want to take my phone for sometime after your checkup while I do Avantika's checkup after you."

"Really you will give me your phone to binge watch" Ananya said already amused. Dr Viren really knows how to make her cooperate with him.

"Yes but only after your checkup." Dr Viren replied. Ananya nodded and left with the nurse.

"So Avantika all good." Dr Viren turning his attention on me and his tablet simultaneously.

"Yes all good. I hope everything goes good today"

"Yes they will." He replied working on his tablet probably looking after our charts. I stayed silent letting him do his work.

"Both of you are due for 2 vaccines each." Dr Viren said keeping his tablet away.

"But Dr Viren Ananya thinks she is not getting any shots today. We know she doesn't like needles at all. How will it be managed?" I asked him.

"Don't worry she will get her shots. Leave it to me. You stay relaxed." Dr Viren spoke arranging all the things he would need for the checkup.

Ananya came back with the nurse. I could see how happy she was now.

"Hop on the bed Ananya" Dr Viren asked her to which she complied. I stood near her. Dr Viren and the nurse had a small chat which wasn't audible to us after which the nurse left the room.

"Let's begin with your vitals" Dr Viren spoke and started taking her blood pressure.

"Your BP is normal." He spoke after finishing. He then checked her eyes, throat, ears, pulse, temperature.

"Lie down I need to check your tummy." He spoke and she complied. After a while he was done.

"Just lift up your shirt I will take a listen to your chest." He spoke grabbing the stethoscope.

"Dr Viren I want to hear how does an heartbeat sound. Please can I listen too." Ananya asked for a favour from him.

Dr Viren smiled at her, thought for a while before placing it onto her ears.

"Lift your shirt up so that I can place it's bell on the correct spots for you to listen."

Ananya very happily let him place the bell on different spots of her chest. Her face told me that she was enjoying listening to her own heart. How adorable she is.

"If you are done pass the earpieces back to me so that I can listen." He directed her after a while.

"Thankyou so much. That was amazing." Ananya said all smiling.

"Don't thank me take deep breaths now." He spoke continuing the checkup as it should go.

"Very Good keep taking deep breaths" He spoke moving the stethoscope on her back.

"Good Job Ananya" He spoke pulling it out.

Meanwhile the nurse came back holding a tray in her hand. I knew what it meant but i stayed silent.

"Avantika go with her and get your height and weight while I complete Ananya's checkup." Dr Viren asked me to leave.

Ananya would give him a difficult time when it's time for her shots but I had to leave as he asked me.

The nurse escorted me to a room nearby where I stepped up the scale and she marked the results on a clipboard. We came back to the exam room only to find a scene I never expected to see.

Ananya was lying peacefully on the bed holding Dr Viren's phone watching a movie and Dr Viren was giving her the injection on her left thigh. That was the reason mom had kept denim shorts as a part of her outfit today.

The nurse signalled me to stay silent as we entered. I closely watched Dr Viren giving the injection to her. He pushed the plunger of the syringe before pulling it out and placing the cotton over the spot. She didn't reacted at all. That was amazing.

The nurse held the cotton as Dr Viren switched to her right thigh giving the injection so quickly that I couldn't even register how fast it was over. Dr Viren applied bandaids to the small spots replacing the cotton.

She was still unaware that she was just been given 2 injections. How convenient.

The fact was that Ananya was so busy with his phone that she didn't even realise when it happened. Ofcourse Dr Viren must have given it as gently as possible. I was so much worried for this part but it was over so quickly and without any fuss that I had never imagined.

"Avantika ready for your checkup?" - "Yes"

"Hop on the other bed, let's not disturb Ananya"

I did as he said. He started with the vitals before proceeding with the boring questions part- Do I have pain anywhere, is something bothering me, any frequent headache or stomach ache etc. etc. I answered all of them truthfully I don't feel any issue.

Dr Viren moved a little away from me to do something.  Oh its time to get pricked. Although I wasn't afraid of it but I still felt anxious. I was trying to remain calm when I saw Ananya freaking out.

"No I was not supposed to get these. I won't take it" Ananya almost shouted trying to run away. I was smiling from inside.

"Ananya just relax. These are not for you but for Avantika." Dr Viren told her making her relax.

"Ahh ThankGod it isn't for me." Ananya let out a sigh. But this situation wasn't that easy for me as I thought.

My fear started rising when Dr Viren came near me with the injections. I was not feeling calm at all.

"Avantika take deep breaths just relax you won't even feel it. No need to get afraid."

He always speaks the right thing at the right time. I really needed this.

"Keep your palm on your lap and let it loose. Don't tense and tell me what do you want as a treat today from me."

"I am not a kid who wants a treat."

He chuckles and turns my hand in a way such that my elbow points out. He starts to wipe the inner part of my upper arm which is above my elbow. I can't see the spot myself.

"Look straight Avantika, Don't turn yourself to see getting pricked"

I sat straight closing my eyes for the time being. All I felt was some pressure at the lower part of my upper arm before being pressed by cotton. Just what I had thought off easy and quick.

The nurse came over and both of them switched places just like they had done for Ananya.

"Last one to go Avantika stay relaxed" He spoke wiping my other arm. This time I saw Ananya who was still engrossed with the movie. I could see the bandaids at her thigh which were a proof of her getting vaccinated.

"All done"

I didn't even feel this one. I turned my hands to see one bandaid at each arm of mine. This was a new injection site for me.

Dr Viren moved near Ananya taking the phone back and showing her the bandaids on her thigh. He broke the news. This is gonna be interesting.

"When did you give my these injections. I didn't even feel it. How can this happen. You are joking? " I saw Ananya asking him while looking at her thighs.

"Your got your vaccinations Ananya I am not joking. See I marked it in your chart also." Dr Viren spoke showing her the tablet.

Ananya went speechless.

"Promise me you won't act naughty next time when you have to receive an injection. You know it's painless."

"I promise I will cooperate with you."

All's well that ends well.

Notes-
Please click on the star if you like this chapter.

Do share your suggestions. You can even dm me if you want to read something in particular.

Your votes and comments are the only thing which keeps me motivated to keep writing. I love reading your comments.

I really want this book to reach atleast 20 chapters. I will be only able to do it if I get support from you.