Lucky

"But it's your birthday!" I reasoned while standing up from my chair in the midst of finishing my movie

"I know, but I think I could finish the last two songs by tonight. Then we can hang out tomorrow and celebrate my birthday late." I sighed while sitting back down to pick on my nails.

Today is August 9th — my boyfriend Dayvon's birthday. But today is also the day that he has decided to not celebrate to finish a few songs for his upcoming album.

I was only upset because this was the first time we were celebrating his birthday as a couple, and I wouldn't even see him because he was busy.

After hearing 'sorry' about fifty times, I ended the call a bit abruptly even if I didn't mean to.

Closing my phone and staring blankly at the television screen, an idea came waltzing into my head.

I quickly texted the one person who would tell me what Von was doing.

(Y/n): Hey, are you at the studio right now?
I waited for the response hoping the answer was yes so that I could proceed with the plan.

Durk: Yeah, why? Also, are you coming to see the birthday boy anytime soon? He's kind of overworking these days and I don't want him like this especially when it's his birthday.

Reading the text, I frowned and quickly got up to change my clothes as I texted a quick yes to Durk. Then, I left my house to pick up some cake and drove straight to the OTF building.

"Finally, our problem solver has arrived" Durk announced to Muwop, and Louie as I greeted them.

"I'm off to go blow candles with my boyfriend. See you guys soon!" I said waving to them while carrying the plastic bag through the halls.

When I reached Von's studio, I couldn't help but feel nervous about his reaction.

What if he didn't want me to distract him? Should I turn back now and eat this cake alone at home? What if Von hates the cake?

As I was fighting with my thoughts, footsteps started coming from behind me.

"(Y/n)!" Durk called while walking towards me. He gave me a strange look asking why I wasn't going inside.

"Um, maybe I should let him finish the album. He probably doesn't want to get distracted..." I started walking in the opposite direction of the door and towards Durk.

Durk interrupted me quickly, "No, (Y/n). Please celebrate today with him. He has been busy right now but everyone here knows that the only person to pull him out of constantly working would be you. So just go inside and talk to him." Durk smiled while giving me a thumbs up for encouragement as he walked into his studio a few doors down.

"You got this (Y/n), you got thi-"

"Babe?" The door opened and suddenly I was met with the face of my boyfriend.

My awkward hand was still in the air from attempting to knock until he opened the door before I can.

"Hey, Von,  I was just trying to bring you cake so we can celebrate your birthday," I said lifting my plastic bag to show him. "And before you say you're busy, all you have to do is blow the candles and I will go home. I just wanted you to celebrate your birthday since it's only coming once a year"

Von stood at the door before smiling and opening it wider for me to come in.

"You know, I was just about to get some food and go over to your house" I turned to him in shock.

"But what about your album? Didn't you say you wanted to finish it tonight?" I asked while sitting down on the couch and pulling the cake out of the box.

As I was placing candles on it, Von sat next to me, "I was, but you sounded upset over the phone so I was planning on finishing the song tomorrow."

I finished placing the candles and looked over at Von, "Let's sing! Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Von. Happy birthday to you!"

"I love you, baby," I said while pulling Von into a kiss. He kissed me back and I closed my eyes in happiness.

Pulling apart slightly, he whispered to me, "Had the best birthday, because here I am getting to spend it with you," Von pecked me on my lips once more before saying, "I love you too (Y/n)."

Then it hit me, the present!

"Wait," I signaled as I looked for my purse and quickly started digging out Von's birthday gift.

"I hope you like it. I had such a hard time choosing it." I said while pulling out the tiny blue box.

"What is it?" Von asked while receiving the box from me and started to open it.

I kept quiet and watched his face to see his reaction.

"An Amiri wallet? Thank you (Y/n), I love it." He opened the wallet and saw the photo of us at a picnic.

"It even has a photo of us, I'm using this starting this second" He took out his current black wallet and started moving his stuff into the new blue one.

I hugged him from the side slightly as he did this, and looked straight at him, "I am so lucky to have you as my boyfriend"

He stopped to look at me, "And I'm so lucky to have you in my life"