The Other Wolf

Before we get to all of that let's go back about 6 months ago.

I was running. Nothing new I run all the time. I run for fun, I run to get places, I run to catch my next meal, I like running. But that's not why I was running now. Something was chasing me and unlike many of the other times I couldn't shake it off. I ran through the forest weaving through the trees, my silver fur barely grazing them. 

I could still hear whatever it was chasing me and it was right on my heals. Suddenly I came to a river and jumped over it and continued running but that was until I realized the thing chastening me had stopped. I turned back and cautiously made my way back to the rivers edge but didn't see (or hear) anything so I jumped back over. I couldn't stand the smell of that side. It wasn't even around the whole river just that particular side. It burned my nose and I hated it.

I started to go back the way I had came, sniffing around trying to find the scent of whatever was chaseing me but couldn't seem to find any different scent than my own. I eventually gave up and started to wander around aimlessly just trying to occupy myself.

Being a six foot tall wolf could sometimes be boring. Especially when you've been that wolf for almost a whole year and haven't phased back to a human since then. I was lost in my own thoughts when suddenly something lunged at me knocking me to the ground. I immediately fought back snarling and baring my teeth. Whatever it was wouldn't get off me and I whacked it in the face with my paw. 

Whatever it was didn't take it well because it immediately bit me in the shoulder and launched me against a tree. It took me a moment for me to get up because im pretty sure some of my ribs cracked. "Fricken Jerk" I snarled. I spun around to attack again but froze when I saw a huge black wolf looking back at me.

The wolf didn't move and just kept staring at me. It was as big as me. Bigger in fact. There was no way this was a normal wolf, but there wasn't anyone else like me. Not that I knew of anyway. "Who are you?" I snarled not letting my guard down.

"The better question is who are you? I've never seen you around"

He barked out the question with much less hostility than I had used towards him and it confused me. I took a step to the side turning away but gave a small yelp of pain when I put pressure on my right shoulder. I could still feel my ribs protesting against the movement too.

"Let me help you, I'm sorry I hurt you. Come with me I can help"

I ignored him and tried to take another step but it was more of a limp and he took a couple steps blocking my way and I growled at him.

"Listen I don't know who you are and you obviously don't know me. I don't know why you want to help me but I'm not falling for it. Now get out of my way"

He blinked and took a step back as I growled at him.

"Your hurt."

"Well that never stopped me."

I quickly turned ignoring the pain searing through my body and sprinted through the forest quickly loosing him through the smaller spaced trees. He might be bigger but I was smaller and more agile. I froze when I heard a howl through the cold night air.

I stayed in the trees the rest of the night sleeping there, not wanting to cross paths with the wolf again. I wouldn't ever admit it to anyone but he scared me. I thought I was the only one and the fact that there could be more or even a pack that could attack terrified me.