From the Good to the Really, Really Bad

2 weeks later

It was official, Jacob and I had adopted River and he was now legally our son. The separation between us had vanished though I had yet to speak to Renesmee despite the fact that almost everyone was pushing me to meet her. Jacob and I also lived in a little cottage near the pack house that the guys had built for us. I don't know why they did, but I love them for it. 

Now I was laying on my back on a thick branch of one of the large trees that sat on the edge of the forest that surrounded the Cullens house. I was waiting for Emmet to come outside so I could fight him again. He demanded a rematch after I beat him the other day and the guys had insisted on taking River for the day so I guess what better time then now. 

I sat up quickly when I heard some leaves rustle on a tree near mine and snapped my head to the side when I heard it come from another spot. I sniffed the air, nothing. "Hi." A soft voice nearly made me fall off my branch until I noticed the girl sitting on a branch a few feet from me. I didn't say anything while I looked at her. She had long hair that was a bit darker than mine and dark brown eyes with a pale complexion. Yep, definitely Bella and Edwards kid. 

"Why are you in a tree?" I just continued to look at her. Whenever I was on the Cullens property and she was here I always stayed outside but I was positive that I had hardly ever heard her speak. Seth explained to me how she communicated, through your mind. So why wasn't she trying that on me? Finally I just shrugged and looked towards the Cullens house again, how hadn't anyone realized she was missing? "Did I do something wrong? Is that why you don't like me? Seth told me it wasn't my fault, that you just needed time, but I've given you time and I'm starting to think he's wrong." She sniffed and wiped her cheek. Wasn't she only a couple months old? How was she able to understand this stuff?

"No." My voice cracked and I cleared my throat. "No, you didn't do anything Renesmee, and I do like you. Why do you think I wouldn't?" I turned to look at her again and she crept closer to me, her small hand hesitantly reaching towards me until I nodded and she placed a hand on my cheek. 

"Tell her to come meet her then Jacob, I don't want my daughter thinking someone who hasn't really even met her yet thinking that they hate her!" I watched the scene infront of my eyes. It was like I was watching it through a small crack in a door while Jacob and Edward argued in the room I had woken up in a few months ago. 

"You know she can't! She can hardly look at her, much less talk to her or be near her! It's hard for her and you know that." Edward glared at Jacob and Jacob glared back. 

"It's been months Jacob, if she knows it wasn't her fault then she should get over it." Jacob growled and shoved Edward backwards. 

"Don't ever say that about her. She had to watch her cousin die and Renesmee is a constant reminder of that to her. She blames herself for it and Nessie had a part in that." Edward snarled at him and I reached up and pulled Renesmee's hand away from my cheek. I had seen enough. 

"Ness, do you know what happened to my cousin? Do you know who Caleb is?" To my surprise she nodded. Someone must've told her about it. "I don't blame you, in all honesty I blame myself for meeting you that night. I always tell myself that maybe if I would've put off meeting you than I could've saved him. I beat myself every day for it and I guess when I see you I can't help but remember that it's my fault. That he's gone." 

I expected her to not understand but instead she lurched forward, wrapping her arms around my neck in a hug. I was frozen for a moment before I wrapped my arms around her and accepted the embrace. "I'm sorry." She whispered. "Seth and Jacob told me about him, he sounds amazing." I released her and nodded, wiping a tear from my cheek.