Chapter 13: Norbert.

Y/N Weasley was having a hectic day. The exams were closer than ever, which meant more revisions. All her notes laid out on the table, she was sure of one thing that day- as she sat in the Gryffindor common room.

She wasn't going to get up, until she was done.

Meanwhile, at breakfast, Hedwig brought Harry another note from Hagrid. He had written only two words: It's hatching.

Ron wanted to skip Herbology and go straight down to the hut, but Hermione wouldn't hear of it.

"Hermione, how many times in our lives are we going to see a
dragon hatching?"

"We've got lessons, we'll get into trouble, and that's nothing to
what Hagrid's going to be in when someone finds out what he's
doing-"

"Shut up!" Harry seemed exasperated with her. He turned to Ron, "Where's Y/N?"

"Who cares, we're late!"

"She wanted to see this, remember? You two go on, I'll bring her!" Harry quickly ran towards the common room, having remembered seeing her there in the morning.

Y/N was midway between revising, when Harry, huffing-puffing burst into the common room.

She got up, immediately, "Harry?"

"Hagrid called-- the egg's hatching!"

"But.." She sent on last look, contemplating whether or, not she should join, when Harry suddenly said, "Oh, come on Y/N, this is once-in-a-lifetime chance!"

Of course, she joined him.

***

Harry and Y/N ran, until they met with Ron and Hermione and together, they hurried through the grounds to the edge of the forest.

Hagrid greeted them looking flushed and excited.

"It's nearly out." He ushered them inside.

The egg was lying on the table. There were deep cracks in it.

Something was moving inside; a funny clicking noise was coming
from it.

They all drew their chairs up to the table and watched with bated breath.

All at once there was a scraping noise and the egg split open.

The baby dragon flopped on to the table. It wasn't exactly pretty; Harry thought it looked like a crumpled, black umbrella. It's spiny wings were huge compared to its skinny jet body and it had a long snout with wide nostrils, stubs of horns and bulging, orange eyes.

It sneezed. A couple of sparks flew out of its snout.

Y/N's eyes gleamed with excitement, "It's beautiful."

Hagrid agreed with glee. He reached out a hand to stroke the dragon's head. It snapped at his fingers, showing pointed fangs.

"Bless him, look, he knows his mummy!" said Hagrid.

"Hagrid," said Hermione, "how fast do Norwegian Ridgebacks grow, exactly?"

Hagrid was about to answer, when the colour suddenly drained from his face- he leapt to his feet and ran to the window.

"What's the matter?"

"Someone was lookin' through the gap in the curtains- it's a
kid- he's runnin' back up ter the school."

Y/N froze in apprehension. Harry bolted to the door and looked out.

Even at a distance there was no mistaking him.