Chapter 7: Quidditch and Fluffy!

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy grey and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows, defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch pitch, bundled up in a long mole- skin overcoat, rabbit-fur gloves and enormous beaverskin boots.

Y/N had never been so excited. It was Quidditch season already and Harry was going to be playing seeker in the next Gryffindor match on Saturday. It was supposed to be a secret, that he was seeker- but, it somehow leaked and now all she heard, whenever she was beside him was either- people telling him that he'd be brilliant or that they'd be running around underneath him, holding a mattress.

Harry was really lucky to have Hermione and Y/N as his friends. Hermione lent him the book- 'Quidditch through the Ages' which turned out to be an interesting read. Y/N, whereas, helped him with all his homework and even taught him some jinxes to deal with Malfoy the next time, he saw him.

Even Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since Harry and Ron had saved her from the mountain troll and was much nicer for it. Still, Y/N and Hermione were closer to each other than the rest of them, because of their love for reading and similar thoughts and ideas.

On Friday, the four of them were out in the freezing courtyard during break and Hermione had conjured them up a bright blue fire which could be carried around in a jam jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. Harry noticed at once that Snape was limping. They moved closer to block the fire from view, they were sure it wasn't allowed. Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?" He asked as Harry showed him- 'Quidditch through the ages.'

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor." Y/N almost wanted him to get strangled by the Devil's Snare.

"He's just made that rule up," Harry muttered angrily as Snape limped away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Y/N bitterly.

                               ***

The Gryffindor Common Room was extremely noisy that evening as Harry, Ron, Y/N and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione had been checking Ron's homework while Y/N checked on Harry's.

Harry felt restless. He wanted 'Quidditch through the Ages' back, to take his mind off his nerves about the next day. Why should he be afraid of Snape? Getting up, he told Ron, Y/N and Hermione he was going to ask Snape if he could have it.

Y/N and Hermione had just finished correcting their homework and adding a few things, here and there, that- after a few minutes, Harry sprinted back to them, panting heavily.

In a low whisper, he told them all that he had seen and heard.

"You know what this means?" he finished breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him- he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to create a diversion!"

Hermione's eyes were wide, "No, he wouldn't," she said. "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe."

"But you can't deny that it is a possibility!" Y/N added. "But what's he after? What is that dog guarding?"

They all went to bed with that same question stuck in their minds.