Chapter 14: Malfoy Is a Twerp.

Y/N, like Harry and Hermione hadn't gone to Hagrid's-- instead she waited at the astronomy tower, where they were supposed to be dropping off Norbert.

The chilly air outside-- along with the absence of the Invisibility Cloak and Malfoy's knowledge made her feel oddly exposed; in fact she was almost sure, she'd be caught.

When she heard the echo of some voices, a few floors below-- she was about to start praying.

Ten minutes later, out of nowhere Harry and Hermione emerged from underneath the cloak, crate in hand. She heaved a sigh of relief.

But, they looked excited:

"Malfoy got caught! He's in detention!" Harry exclaimed.

"What?!"

"He was about to complain on us- but McGonagall punished him, instead!" Hermione seemed excited too.

But Y/N seemed even more worried, "You mean McGonagall's roaming around here? We're going to get caught!"

Luckily, Charlie's friends had reached after some time, swooping down from their brooms, looking all cheery.

They showed Harry, Y/N and Hermione the harness they'd rigged up, so they could suspend
Norbert between them. They all helped buckle Norbert safely into it and then, shook hands with the others and thanked them very much.

At last, Norbert was going.. going.. gone.

They slipped back down the spiral staircase, their hearts as light as their hands, now that Norbert was off them. No more dragon- Malfoy in detention- what could spoil their happiness?

Y/N froze to her spot, and tried to push the others out of the way-- too late-- Filch had seen them.

"Well, well, well," he whispered, "we are in trouble."

They'd left the Invisibility Cloak on top of the tower.

***

To say, Harry Potter was having a terrible day, was an understatement.

As he and Ron stood next to the giant hour-glasses, staring at the Gryffindor points- 200 less than the last time, contemplating all their life decisions- people passing by kept sending them, dirty looks.

Even the Ravenclaws and the Hufflepuffs seemed angry with them.

The Slytherins on the other hand, couldn't have looked happier.

Neville, who had come to warn Harry and the others the night before- had also lost points for Gryffindor along with the three and looked like, he was about to cry, the whole day.

Hermione didn't answer much and kept to her work as well.

Harry even wished to resign the Quidditch team, but Y/N talked him out of it.

'What good will that do?' she had said. 'At least if you're a part of it, you can earn it back for us.'

Y/N's mentorship had come to a standstill- once liked, she was now being avoided and hated-on as well.

She didn't look very bothered about it, but she was. It could be worse. It would be worse, she knew; the day they found out, who she really was. Then, even her own family along with Harry and Hermione wouldn't be there for her. She had to get used to this. Like a test.

Thankfully, the exams weren't far away- and, the quartet distracted themselves, by concentrating on their studies. They kept to their own, working late into the night, trying to remember the ingredients in complicated potions, learn charms and spells off by heart, memorise the dates of magical discoveries and goblin rebellions..