Chapter 19: Chessmen and Potions.

The four were standing on the edge of a huge chessboard, behind the black chessmen, which were all taller than they were and carved, from what looked like black stone.

Facing them, way across the chamber, were the white pieces.

The towering white chessmen had no faces, and Y/N shivered, "They're creepy, alright."

"Now what do we do?" Harry whispered to her.

"It’s obvious, isn’t it?" She said. "We’ve got to play our way across the room."

Behind the white pieces they could see another door.

"How.. exactly will we do that?" said Hermione nervously.

"I think," said Ron, "we’re going to have to be chessmen."

He walked up to a black knight and put his hand out to touch the knight’s horse. At once, the stone sprang to life.

"That's.. not scary, at all."

The horse pawed the ground and the knight turned his helmeted head to look down at Ron.

"Do we- er- have to join you to get across?"

The black knight nodded. Ron turned to the other three.

"This wants thinking about.." he said. "I suppose we’ve got to take the place of three of the black pieces.."

Harry, Y/N and Hermione stayed quiet, watching Ron think. Finally, he said, "Now, don’t be offended or, anything, but neither of you are that good at chess-"

"We’re not offended," said Harry quickly. "Just tell us what to do."

"Well, Harry, you take the place of that bishop, Y/N, you can be the queen and Hermione, you go there instead of that rook."

"What about you?"

"I’m going to be a knight," said Ron.

The chessmen seemed to have been listening, because at these words the queen, a knight, a bishop and a rook turned their backs on the white pieces and walked off the board leaving four empty squares which Harry, Y/N, Ron and Hermione took.

"Why isn't it starting?" asked Hermione.

"White always plays first in chess," said Ron, peering across the board.

A white pawn had moved forward two squares.

Ron started to direct the black pieces. They moved silently wherever he sent them.

Only one thought plagued their minds, 'What if they lost?'

"Harry- move diagonally four squares to the right."

Their first real shock came when their other knight was taken. The white queen smashed him to the floor and dragged him off the board, where he lay quite still, face down.

Y/N exchanged a shaken look with Ron.

"Had to let that happen," he responded.

"Leaves you free to take that bishop, Y/N go on."

Every time one of their men was lost, the white pieces showed no mercy. Soon there was a huddle of limp black players slumped along the wall.

Ron kept playing brilliantly, handling the entire game almost by himself. He darted around the board taking almost as many white pieces as they had lost black ones.

"We’re nearly there," he muttered suddenly. "Let me think- let me think.. "

The white queen turned her blank face towards him.