𝐱𝐱. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐭'𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧 (𝟐)

The Doctor had been listening to D

The Doctor had been listening to D.I Bishop explain the situation to him rather thoroughly, when he'd felt a blinding pain in his chest.

Gasping, his hand rose unsteadily to rub at the tender spot, as he immediately tried to reach out to his tether, knowing the pain was from the bond itself.

Only, he couldn't feel her.

His eyes widened in fear, before squeezing closed as he tried to focus on her mind, on her ever constant presence in his chest, to send a message, any message, through.

Love, are you alright?

Except he got nothing back. He couldn't feel her. The space she occupied in his hearts, the bond that so strongly connected him to her was empty, cold.

His eyes snapped open when he heard a familiar voice crying, "No! Don't you touch her!"

A knock sounded at the door, and Bishop, who'd apparently been standing at his side worriedly, looked at it, as it opened and an officer said, "Found another one, sir." Rose was shoved roughly through the door, stumbling on her feet, chest heaving with sobs.

Immediately, he ran to her, grabbing onto her shoulders, "Rose? What happened? Where's Cassie?"

The blonde heaved, head shaking in desperation, "I tried, i tried to help but she pushed me away...she saved me...she saved me and i couldn't help her!"

He swallowed heavily, hearts dropping into his chest like boulders in a lake, before asking again, voice quivering, "Rose, where is my tether?"

Just then, another police officer entered the room, leading a blanket covered figure before him slowly.

A tall one, with skintight black pants and red, blocky heels peeking from beneath the blanket.

Bishop said something, but he couldn't hear him, as it felt like his head was plunged underwater.

Slowly, he made his way to the still figure, hands shaking as they reached for the blanket, before slowly removing it, eyes filing with horrified tears when he saw the smooth, faceless figure of his tether.

His Cassie.

Fingers shaking, he reached out and tenderly cupped her face, leaning their foreheads together as he so often did, trying to pick up anything from her.

A wayward thought, a feeling, a tug in his chest...anything to indicate the opposite of what he was seeing.

But all he got was static.

"Love..." the word was wrought with pain as it was whispered, disbelief fierce in his voice. This couldn't be happening, this couldn't be his tether. His Cassie, with her beautiful smile, snarky tone and shimmering emerald eyes.

She was gone, and in her place, there was nothing but this pristine shell left.

He didn't understand how this could have happened, she had foreknowledge for Rassilon's sake! But as soon as that thought crossed his mind, realization followed; she had foreknowledge, and if his companion's cries of 'she saved me' were anything to go by, Cassie had known Rose would get her face stolen, and had somehow taken her spot.