closer and closer

Jennie's scrolling listlessly through her phone when Jisoo and Lisa sit down next to her.

"Mr. Shane just put in the math test scores," she informs them without looking up from it.

"Wait, seriously?" Jisoo fumbles to pull her own out of her bag.

"Check for yourself; he graded quick this time."

Jisoo rattles off a string of curses as her fingerprint fails to unlock the phone multiple times, until Lisa can no longer resist the urge to intervene, plucking it from her hand. She slides across the lock screen and types in the four numbers she knows to be Jisoo's birthday and password. Immediately after it opens, Jisoo snatches it back, furiously swiping to the app their school district uses for grades.
Lisa does the same, noting with satisfaction that the inputted test score, whatever it might be, hasn't caused her overall grade in the class to drop. She clicks into the details, and a 92% flashes at her.

Not bad. Not amazing either, since Lisa'd already learned this entire unit before she moved.

"How'd you do?" Jennie asks, finally setting her phone aside.

"Okay," says Lisa fairly. She doesn't bother to ask Jennie back, knowing that she probably got everything right "What about you, Jisoo?"

The other girl doesn't answer at first, staring down at her phone with horror.

"Jisoo?" Lisa prods carefully.
"Holy shit!" Jisoo screams, making Jennie steal a wary look at the librarian. It's only then that Lisa realizes the expression on her face isn't one of horror, but rather complete shock. "I got a B!"

"What?" They lean in to peer at the screen, where 80% is written under the unit test.

"Jisoo, that's amazing," Lisa says, laughing when Jisoo throws her phone into the air in excitement and barely catches it before it crashes down onto the table.

"Well, eighty is actually a B minu—" Jennie begins snarkily, but then shakes her head. "Sorry. Looks like your studying has paid off."

Jisoo smirks at her, "Wow, didn't you say you'd enjoy watching me fail this class?" She's paraphrasing Jennie's words from the  Pachinko  disaster.

"Guess who's not failing? Me!"
Jennie raises an eyebrow. "You're already out of the D range?"

"Yep, unit tests are worth twice as much  and  I've been doing better in homework. So I have a C- now."

"Well," says Jennie, "looks like I'll have to take that back. Congratulations."

Jisoo positively glows with pride.
"By the way, you're very welcome for my free tutoring services, which I'm sure had no effect on your recent improvement," Jennie drawls with a smug smile.

"Seriously?" Lisa groans. Leave it to Jennie to avoid accepting defeat gracefully.

"Whatever." A scowl makes its way onto Jisoo's face, but is soon wiped away by a impish grin. "Hey, you know, you still have another statement to take back."

"And what might that be?"

"Hmm," says Jisoo, tapping her chin in mock-thoughtfulness. "How about when you said my soccer abilities are 'mediocre'? I'm more offended by that, to be honest. Have you ever seen our team play?"

Jennie shakes her head.

"So you just insulted me without even knowing if I was good?!"

"Maybe?" Seeing Lisa and Jisoo's faces, she hastens to defend herself. "I was just mad. It's your fault for pulling all that crap with the book, remember?"