5 - Double Trouble

Ding dong ding dong. What? No, no way, we've gone so long without this happening! Shuichi's blood ran cold as the body discovery announcement chimed throughout the academy for yet another time. "What? Another murder? We're still investigating Shinguji's death!" Momota gasped in surprise. Yeah, someone's killed twice...

"Let's just go," Shuichi muttered, wanting to end the trial. Momota grabbed the bluenette's hand, running through the hallways until they reached the courtyard, joining the rush to the Aikido Master's Lab. It's the third class trial and another double murder. The last time this happened was when Shinguji murdered Yonaga and Chabashira, which was also the third class trial. Just another reason Shirogane and I seem to be similar masterminds...

Entering the dojo, Shuichi gasped at the unexpected sight. Nothing was there. "Over here guys, he's down there," Amami beckoned the newcomers with his hand, pointing at the space underneath the floating stage held to the roof with industrial chains. Shuichi stepped onto the stage with caution, gingerly approaching the end to see a horrible sight.

Gokuhara lay at the bottom of the chasm, a steel rod piercing his neck as the rest of his limbs contorted. "That's brutal..." Chabashira muttered.

"Alright you lot, new rule! Two murders max!" Monokuma shouted, ordering his Monodam, Monophanie and Monotaro to hand out the Monokuma files. That wasn't a rule in any of the past loops... Was it?

"Wait Monokuma," Amami interrupted before the robot bear could disappear.

"Huh, you have a question for me? Fire away, so long as it's not my bust size, I'll tell ya anything!" Monokuma cackled. 

"Which blackened are we looking for? Do we convict both in the class trial?" Amami asked, the rest of the room realising their predicament, well, all but one.

"You'll be trying to find both blackeneds!" Monokuma informed the group before disappearing, his three remaining children in tow.

"Whoever killed Gokuhara is stupid, imagine taking advantage of an idiot!" Ouma laughed.

"Don't be so rude!" Yumeno pouted, tugging on the brim of her black witch hat.

"Maybe both murders connect? We could figure out the second blackened through the first." Hoshi wondered out loud.

"I plainly think we shouldn't worry about Gokuhara's murder, it'll make us confused. Let's focus on Shinguji's first," Shirogane interjected.

"If you want to stay, then stay. Leave if you want to leave. Stop arguing," Harukawa frowned. Everyone hesitated before deciding on their paths with Shirogane, Chabashira, Yumeno and Yonaga leaving. Shuichi sighed as he stared at the tablet in his hand, reading the case.

Case 3.2
Victim - Gokuhara Gonta, the Ultimate Entomologist.
Location - Ultimate Aikido Master's Lab in the courtyard.
Time of Death - 10:57 pm
Cause - Impaled.
Other Injuries - Multiple fractures, lacerations and bruising over the body.

"Looks like there's nothing to investigate though, we can't get to the body," Hoshi sighed. Shit, if the blackened wins then I might have to restart the loop. I'm fucked.

"Someone must have beat the shit out of the dumbass for him to get injuries like this," Ouma grinned whilst he stared at the Monokuma File.

"Uh, I think the fractures and bruising could be from the fall itself," Shuichi pointed out before slamming a hand over his mouth, his eyes wide. Oh fuck, I shouldn't have said anything. You're supposed to be undercover Shuichi, you fucking idiot! "That- That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong!"

"It's alright Saihara, you gotta speak your mind! Don't be afraid to tell us what you think!" Momota grinned, slapping the male's back.

"I agree with you, it'd make sense." Amami nodded, holding his chin in thought. Before Shuichi could join Momota in investigating, he felt a hand grip his arm and yank him away.

"H-Hey!" Shuichi shouted as his kidnapper dragged him outside the research lab. Feeling the death grip loosen, Shuichi rubbed his sore arm and glared at Ouma. "That's going to bruise now."

"Oh, boo-fucking-hoo you big baby." Ouma rolled his eyes. "What do you know about the murder?"

"Are you asking me because you think I'm a suspect? If so, I have an alibi," Shuichi reminded the supreme leader.

"It's not the murder I'm curious about," Ouma spat. His eyes narrowed into a glare that could rival an assassin's, shadowed by his fringe. "I could be lying though!" Ouma flipped his personality, grinning with a sparkle in his eyes.

"Oi, Ouma, leave him alone!" Momota shouted, wrapping a protective arm around Shuichi's shoulders.

"Don't worry Momota~Chan! I'm not taking your boyfriend from you!~" Ouma chuckled before walking away with a forced bounce in his step. It's okay Ouma, I know you're hurting just as much as us...

"We're n-not..." Shuichi trailed off, knowing it would be futile to defend his platonic relationship with Momota.

"Let's keep investigating Saihara," Momota muttered, his demeanour seeming harsher than usual. What's going on with him? As the astronaut pulled his best friend back into the research lab, he turned to ask another question. "Who do you think the suspects are Sidekick?" Momota asked, peeking at Gokuhara's corpse.

I can't lie, it'll seem suspicious to everyone since the suspects right now are obvious. Part of me wonders if Momota's asking all these questions to make me speak up more or something? He's being unusual compared to what I've witnessed. "Uh, well Chabashira, Yumeno, Yonaga and Shirogane weren't in the Pianist Research Lab, but we were when this murder took place. I'd say it's them."

"Agreed," Amami muttered from beside the men. Shuichi joined Momota in peeking over the edge of the stage.

"I can't tell what the murder weapon is from up here... It's probably the pole, right?" Shuichi pondered aloud.

"If you don't have anything useful to say, stay quiet," Harukawa barked at the male. Shuichi nodded, pulling his hat over his eyes and shrinking his body into himself. As Harukawa left the lab, Momota took off Shuichi's hat.

"Come on Saihara, don't get worked up over her! She means well!" He grinned.

Shuichi glanced up at the male, a pink tint dusting his cheeks as he tried - and failed - to reach for his cap. "I guess you're right, but can I have that back, please? It makes me feel better..."

"Sure, here ya go!" Momota placed the hat on Shuichi's head, the two smiling together. Shuichi stared at the ground again, glad he had his cap to conceal his face. If we don't find Gokuhara's killer, I'm going to do this all over again... I can't, not again.

The dojo's door slammed open as the Ultimate Child Caregiver entered with a rope in her hand. She marched toward Momota and thrust one end in his hand, wrapping the other around her waist. "Tie this to that chain over there. I'm going down." Momota nodded, tying the rope securely to one of the chains holding the stage in the air.

Once the two finished their missions, Harukawa turned to Momota. "Lower me down." Nodding, Momota grabbed the slack rope, bunching it up in his hands. As Harukawa dropped off the stage's edge, Momota allowed the taut rope to drop little by little. Shuichi, Amami and Hoshi watched as the woman reached the ground and prodded at Gokuhara's body without hesitation. She's impressive, but I suppose that comes with being an assassin, right? Is she even one in this loop?

Shuichi sighed, watching Harukawa helplessly from the stage. I suppose I just have to wait for the class trial to find out any answers.