Chapter 38

"Irene is so smart!"

"Irene's home was the nicest!"

"Irene is so good at everything!"

Alice continued to compliment Irene at the dinner table as her parents listened and laughed. Irene felt a bit embarrassed.

"You flatter me a bit too much!" Irene responded awkwardly. It seems to be truthful, but is it? Irene's thoughts were going crazy, she had similar occurrences when she was Cha-hee from girls.

However, in the end, their motive was just to butter her up so they can make moves on her older brothers, who she was never close to.

Why am I thinking about this?

Irene held in a sigh and continued to "enjoy" her dinner with a smile. Alice and the Grand Duke's sons discussed what they did today, Alice was super excited to talk about it.

"Wow! Elijah, your daughter is very talented!" the Count said complimenting Irene, which Irene blushed to embarrassment.

She felt like she was getting complimented by a father.

"Thank you," the Grand Duke responded ever-so-causally, Irene side-eyed the cold Grand Duke, he seems to be thinking about something else rather than listening to conversations.

Irene aggressively stabbed her fork into the meat and ate it, Irene was very frustrated with the Grand Duke.

How can a dad be such an asshole? Oh, wait, my dad too...

Her sudden realization, her family.

What was their reaction to my death? Did father eventually die?

Irene's thoughts were going crazy, Irene didn't even know why was she thinking about this now. It was an on and off thing, a moment she is thinking about this world, then thinking about her world.

She felt like she was being bullied, who dies just to be neglected by their family again. Irene shook her head snapping herself out of this, this time she has friends.

When she was Cha-hee it was her alone, flashbacks of Irene's past started to come back.

Haha, look it's abandoned daughter~

Don't say that too loud, the ugly might hear you!

What is she going to do? Call her father?

Cha-hee was all alone, teachers ignored every mean comments thrown at her. Every nice approach was just to get to her brothers.

Oh, Cha-hee you look beautiful! You and your brothers have strong genes! Speaking about your brothers, where are they?

That was the first friend she made, the girl invited to hang out, but in the end, it was just for her brothers.

Um, suddenly I have a stomach ache! Sorry!

The girl responded after Irene told her they were never coming. The world was unfair.

Cha-hee eventually developed a crush as all people do during their childhood, but it would remain as a buried memory.

The male seemed to be nice to her, Cha-hee's naïve personality due to craving love and attention, believed this person was nice.

"I like you!" Cha-hee confessed during their recess break in 8th grade, the boy then laughed.

Haha, just as the rumors say, the poor girl doesn't even realize she has been used!

Turns out the person was using her for his grades by asking for help and her money. Cha-hee burst into tears, however, the person just laughed. Laughter mixed with cries sounded horrible.

Rumors spread the next day, the bullying and teasing got even worse. Cha-hee's brother knew about it and choose to ignore it and herself as well. However, this incident did change something.

Cha-hee completely isolated herself from everyone. Worked alone, played alone, ate alone, and hung out alone. Cha-hee's father eventually figured out the situation at school and decided to talk about it at one dinner table.

So you cried?

You are too weak for this world.

Are you dumb?

Stop embarrassing yourself and the family name.

That's what her father said, Cha-hee sat there in shock, she thought her father will at least do something about it.

Cha-hee smiled as tears came down her face.

"Was mother that important to you?"

The dinner ended in chaos, Cha-hee told off on her father.

"I swear I will move out from here, out of Korea and everything!"

The girl screamed breathlessly.

"You all deserve to go down the pits of hell, I wish you guys the worst life!"

She cursed at her family with tears streaming down her face and she screamed, yelled, cried, and cursed.

"I never asked to be here for god's sake!"

After this, Cha-hee started to eat by herself.

Isolation.

The darkest period in her life was high school things just got worse and worse for her while her family's life was thriving.

Why me?

That's when Cha-hee stumbled across the joy of web novels, her life did get worse however her mental state was healing slowly.

Years went by in a flash with herself surrounded and distracted by web novels, Cha-hee eventually grew up and left.

Cha-hee packed up her things as her family was near her watching quietly. She was about to leave the door and smiled.

"I hope you guys continue to live a miserable life! Don't forget to die young fuckers!" Cha-hee said leaving the large home she grew up in.

As she sat in the taxi, she deleted numbers from her contracts. Funny thing was that only her brothers and father were in there. Her relatives didn't really enjoy or particularly like her.

She was really all alone in the world.

However, that day was was finally set free. Cha-hee left everything in Korea and came to the US, she had taken English courses and classes in Korea, she had prepared for this moment.

She took care of herself and found a job, life was going smoothly for her.

Irene was dozing off at the dinner table and quickly realized, she continued to act as nothing happened. Irene was thinking about her life as Cha-hee, it was quite pitiful.

It's scarily similar to this one...TT

Irene cried inside.

Oh, Irene!

Someone cried inside of her, the voice was Undine. Undine had been listening as Irene was doing an emotional flashback. Irene cooed Undine.

"Calm down, we will speak of this later!"

"Irene, you seem a bit tired," the Countess remarked as she has been staring at the child for some time. Irene's eyes lit up, she can use this opportunity to escape.

"Oh yes, I am and oh, I am quite full!" Irene said laughed awkwardly, "I am going to excuse myself, I going to return home now,' she said smiling.

Irene grabbed Ralph and they were gone in a flash.

"Well that was odd," the Grand Duke finally spoke.

~Author's Note~

You guys are probably wondering, why is this author giving more flashbacks? Well I don't want to overlook the trauma our MC has suffered, I want to reveal some parts of her past life. I just wanted to remind you guys that Cha-hee has also been suffering.