Chapter 43

The three males quickly ran towards to commotion, "Oh my god!" Elle screamed as she ran towards Irene.

Irene had fallen into a deep slumber, she was exhausted from using her energy as she was in the Count's house. The girl was princess hugged by Ralph as Elle was checking on her temperature.

"She must be hungry, I..." Elle started to ramble as tears started to form, "I'm so glad you are safe," Elle said as she tightly grabbed Irene's hand. Ralph wasn't saying anything, but his eyes were watery.

Only Elle and Ralph were brought to the Count's residence as Mal and Roxy stayed.

The Grand Duke started to walk towards them, Alice who was right behind him, ran towards Irene.

"Irene! Are you okay? Is she okay!?" Alice asked worried, the Grand Duke kept silent looking at Irene who seemed pale.

The sons of Grand Duke were just standing there hopelessly.

"Your excellency," a knight approached the Grand Duke, he spoke in a sad voice.

"Two bodies were found," the knight whispered.

Irene's eyes were started to open, and the moment she opened her eyes she meet the face of the Grand Duke.

Is that...no is the Grand Duke crying?

The Grand Duke's ice-cold stone face broke as the news of his best friend passing, his eyes were visibly shaking, he was swamped by emotions.

Thinking one sentence to himself.

I am truly alone again.

Irene watched the Grand Duke's face carefully as she watched tears fall while the Grand Duke was shocked.

Irene was aware of the situation.

I guess they found out...Quickly pretend to be asleep to avoid questions..!

Irene quickly shut her eyes as soon as she thought of that and all she heard of words coming from shocked knights and servants and Alice asking what was going on.

"Where's mommy and daddy?"

"We found Irene, but what about mommy?"

"What about daddy?"

"What about my parents..."

The voice was slowly the only thing she heard, everything slowly got quieter. Irene eventually dozed off to sleep.

Irene did not know right after she fell asleep, the news about the Count's and Countess's death was revealed to Alice.

Alice was just 13.

Her eyes were opened wide as she dropped to the Grand Duke, she was crying and screaming as the servants and workers of the Count's residence sobbed.

Today the empire had lost the Count, the Emperor was greatly saddened and was in tears when it was revealed.

The emperor was quite close to his right-hand man, the Count. Losing half of himself, he managed to still calm in the public speech but broke down as soon as he left the eyes of his citizens.

The Grand Duke was taking care of the aftermath.

It was confirmed that a candle had started to fire.

Irene woke up quietly as she turned to her bedside, there lays a newspaper, [Fire in Count's residence, everyone is safe but the Count and Countess...] the newspaper stated.

Irene flinched from the visual image and she then threw the newspaper to the ground. She felt as if she was in a dream, that she dearly hopes to wake up from.