Chapter Nineteen

I suck at fight scenes lol

When I was first becoming friends with Hitoshi, he was almost resentful. Maybe of me, maybe of everyone. But who could blame him? People were ruthless with him or too scared to even go near him. Maybe he hated how I so easily tried to chat him up and be as close as possible, how could I have so easily done that and to everyone else, it felt like an impossible task.

I remember watching him swing alone on the playground that was abandoned by any sign of other children, except him. And well, now me as I strode over towards the purple-haired boy. He lifted his head at the sound of my steps on the gravel and watched me with a blank expression as I stood in front of him.

"Hitoshi~Chan," I grinned at him but he simply tightened his hands around the harsh rusting metal chains of the swingset.

"Why are you here all alone? You should have asked me to come with you! It's no fun swinging on your own."

"Go away..." He mumbled so quietly that at the time I thought I must not have heard right.

"What was that?" I asked in genuine confusion.

"I said," He inhaled sharply, "Go away!" he kicked up the gravel at me, I put my arms up to shield my face from getting assaulted with the rocks.

"I'm sick of it! Y/n-Chan! You're always around! Always! Just leave me alone! I want to be alone forever and ever and I never want anyone but myself. No one. Just me and me alone. Don't talk to me, don't protect me, don't even breathe near me." The boy was exploding in front of my eyes, releasing so many pent-up feelings that he would never in a million years understand or how he was supposed to deal with at the time.

I frown and looked him up and down, "...Hitoshi-Chan..."

"That's how they want me! They all want me alone...a-and maybe I deserve it. I deserve it all Y/n-Chan."

I knew, even with my kindergartener's brain that this sudden resentfulness towards me, was never about me to begin with.

"I never asked for you to protect me!" He stood up, tight-lipped and muscles looking tense. His fists were balled up and he took steps towards me, "So cut it the heck out!"

I let him rant out to me and spill his feelings, waiting for him to finish. Even when he was screaming in my face, I was staring him in his eyes and having a small smile tugging at my lips.

"...Just leave already." His head lowers and his face looks crestfallen.

"No."

I grabbed ahold of his shoulders, making him snap his head up to look at me from the sudden contact. "Let me protect you Hitoshi-Chan! No one deserves to be alone, especially you! Even if it's just me and you for the rest of our lives we at least have each other. And that's more than enough. I WANT to protect you, not because I think you're weak...b-but because everyone needs at least one person to stand up for them."

"Don't cut me out Hitoshi-Chan! I'm not leaving you alone. Ever. Ever. Ever!"

And from there it was smooth sailing, for our friendship at least. I reached within him somewhere with my words. I consoled his inner and outer child even if I was just a child myself. And I was the only friend he had from that point onward. Maybe just because he didn't find a point to find anymore or maybe it was because he wanted it to be just me and him till the end.

And maybe a part of me wanted it that way too.

And that part of me right now only wanted to see Hitoshi, but instead, I'm met with an ash blonde with an attitude problem exploding different villains that were in his line of sight.