Chapter 03

3rd POV
As expected word spread like a wildfire and the teachers were forced to intervene before the story got twisted into something more malicious. The students were gathered into the auditorium and Nurse White spoke first.

"I want to explain what postpartum depression is a depression suffered by a mother following childbirth, typically arising from the combination of hormonal changes, psychological adjustment to motherhood, and fatigue. Rosemarie Swan was confirmed to had had this after her youngest Madelyn was born she and her family got help and dealt with this privately to avoid ridicule as mental health is not always understood and accepted as it should. Mental health is TWICE as important as physical and none of you should EVER forget that. Rosemarie Swan got help and she overcame her issues by the time Madelyn was two" Nurse White spoke with a firm but saddened voice.

"Rosemarie Swan was not driving nor was she under the influence of any medication that led to her planning the accident that took her and her husband's life. Rosemarie Swan was a mother mother to all her daughters, she just struggled and needed help. We should commend her and honor her for her unconditional love for her daughters which was the real thing that saved her from that dark place she was I'm not the medication" she continued before finishing "Sheriff Swan has come to answer some questions you may have. Please be respectful" she stepped down and Charlie stepped up and people immediately started raising their hands.

Charlie pointed at random students and answered their questions. Each student stood up and asked their questions before sitting down after receiving their answer.

"Did you know about Mrs. Swan's depression?"

"No. My brother chose to deal with it privately and only allowed a psychiatrist from Seattle and his eldest daughter to know what was going on. It was a secret kept by the four of them until recently."

"Why didn't he ask for help?"

"Mental health is not always taken seriously especially in the past. My brother feared that his beloved wife would be ridiculed and outcasted because of something that she couldn't control."

"Mrs. Swan overcame her depression, right?"

"Yes. My sister-in-law persevered and overcame her depression. I am very proud of her for this, as not a lot of people can do this."

"Are you sure that Mrs. Swan had nothing to do with the accident? I heard that women with postpartum depression can become homicidal."

"I'm positive. My sister hadn't been depressed in twelve years, and yes while some women with postpartum depression can become homicidal that was not the case with Rosemarie. Rosemarie was more self hateful and suicidal."

This made everyone quiet for a moment as they remembered the bright and warm ray of sunshine that was Rosemarie Swan. Then suddenly someone raised their hand and Charlie called on them.

"Are any of her daughters suffering from depression?"

"I'm no medical doctor nor do I have anything to say on that matter as their mental health should be dealt with by their own terms. They've already been stripped of their privacy once, can we please try to let them have some dignity?"

The students murmured their understanding before continuing asking questions.

"Is it true that Bella violated the sisters fourth amendment? If so, why isn't she in prison?"

"Yes, she did. To answer your second question that only applies to police unless she threatened to blackmail or tried to shake them down for money, otherwise, she would be in a prison cell."

"Is Bella's depression real? Or was she faking it like everyone keeps saying?"

"Bella was taken to a psychiatrist, and what was discovered and discussed there is private."

"With all due respect, sheriff, if Bella was faking then wouldn't that make her an assailant? Not a victim? Shouldn't we know who the victims are, so we can protect and support them?"

"While you are correct in that notion, I cannot disclose private medical information without consent of the patient. It would make me no better than Bella in that regard."

The principal stepped forward and said "Alright, no more questions. Let's try to continue our support for the Swan sisters and help them through this difficult time—"

"Wait! I have a question!"

"Sir-"

"What's your question son?"

"How long will this last? It's been six months and none of the sisters seem to be better to me. Their smiles aren't as bright and they seem so tired all the time....will they ever go back to being themselves?"

Everyone was silent by this until Charlie finally answered.

"No. They will never be the same."

Charlie's answer astounded the students who remained silent as he continued.

"Grief is not your typical emotion. Grief is an emotion that drowns out everything around you and makes you feel like you're at the bottom of the sea while everyone walks on top of the water, but then again what is grief if not love preserving through death and loss?"

Charlie paused and took a deep breath and rubbed his eyes to wipe away the tears before he continued.

"I can't tell you about Bella's mental health, but I can tell you this. Bella is not grieving because she hasn't lost anything. Her boyfriend dumped her and left her. It was a bad break up, but she's acting like a widow and that is not okay. She claims that her 'lost' is worst because Edward Cullen is still alive and well living with his family without her, and she will never see him again"

"That's not worst. What's worst is watching your parents die in front of you. Evelyn, Caitlyn, Marilyn, and Madelyn lost their whole world that night. Their parents, their home, their childhood, and their innocence were ripped away from them that night when a man stupidly got drunk and drove. That accident was entirely preventable— no it wasn't an accident it was murder. My brother and sister-in-law were murdered and their children almost died with them. That night never should've happened, and that's why Bella and my nieces grief are different."

Silence spread throughout the auditorium as everyone silently agreed. Isabella Swan had no right to claim that she was grieving and her cousins and her were in the same boat when she lost nothing that night.