Chapter 3

I managed to make it through English without shaving Taylor's head, which I considered a major accomplishment for the day. Cole rushed me out of class before I could say or do something that would give away who I was, making matters worse. I was trying to keep a low profile, yet I wanted to cut or shave Taylor's hair. Cole walked me back to my locker, hugged me, and told me he'd see me at lunch. Sophie was at my locker before I could even get my locker open. 

"So, how was English?" She asked, looking down at her phone. 

I slammed my locker closed and let out an exasperated sigh. "Two words...Taylor Moss." 

"Really?" Sophie said, scrunching up her face. "Did she just transfer to your class today because you never mentioned her the past couple of weeks?" 

"Yeah. Why me? I'm a good person." I sighed. 

"Rylee, this isn't a punishment against you." Sophie wrapped her arm around mine as we started to walk down the hall toward Math class. 

I knew better. It was a punishment against me—punishment for coming back and going to school here. They tormented me throughout my middle school years until I left, and this was a clear reminder to me that I didn't belong in the school. 

"I know, but it feels like it." I sighed again. 

"Did she even remember you?" Sophie asked, letting go of my arm. 

"No, I didn't give her a chance. I sat behind her toward the back of the class." I peeked over at her. 

"Really, Rylee? Don't start that crap again." She rolled her eyes. "You've got to stop letting people intimidate you. You aren't that girl anymore. Stop being her!" 

I heard what Sophie was saying, and I couldn't agree more, but being around these people who made my life hell throughout middle school was bringing the old Rylee back to the surface. The insecure, awkward girl that most everyone made fun of behind her back. 

"I'm trying; I'm really trying." 

"I know you are, but you've got to try harder now that you are around everyone again. You knew this was going to be hard. Just keep telling yourself that you aren't that poor, awkward girl anymore. I mean, look at you, Rylee. You look amazing."

I looked down at my clothes as we kept walking through the crowded halls, making our way to Math class. I knew deep down I wasn't the old Rylee, but I could still feel her trying to come out.

We managed to make it to Math class on time, too. I peeked in the room first before stepping in, trying to see if there was anyone in this class I had to worry about. I stumbled a couple of steps into the classroom, and Sophie walked past me the next thing I knew. She glances over at me and whispers for me to stop being paranoid. She's right; I would only bring more unwanted attention to myself than if I acted naturally. I had to laugh at myself on the inside because acting like a typical teenage girl was something I struggled with a lot.

I followed Sophie to a couple of desks off to the left side of the room. She took the one in front, and I sat behind her. I took out my notebook, keeping my eyes forward as much as possible. I did scan the classroom for a few minutes to see if anyone new had transferred to this class. No one looked familiar from what little I glanced around. But then again, I didn't look behind me. That would've been a little strange just turning around in the seat for no reason, looking around. But, on the other hand, I didn't need a new reason for people to talk about me.

For the next hour, Mr. Elliot went over the lesson, and I tried my hardest to pay attention in class, but my eyes kept wandering around in front of me, making sure no one new had shown up in the classroom today. 

The bell rang, letting us know it was time for lunch. This was going to be the real test of the day, and I had a feeling I was going to fail miserably. I gathered up my things and followed Sophie out of the classroom into the hectic, crowded hall as kids rushed by the doorway. 

"How are the lunches here?" I asked because I forgot to pack my veggies last night and didn't have time this morning. I had been bringing my lunch for the past couple of weeks. 

"Do you want me to lie or tell you the truth?" Sophie wrinkled up her nose. 

"That bad, huh?" I curled up the corner of my lip in disgust. 

"Yeah. They were supposed to redo the whole cafeteria over the summer and add an Ala Carte line with fresh veggies for the ones that are vegetarian or vegan. Parents complained that their kids didn't have many options to eat at school, so they were supposed to do something about it over the summer." Sophie shrugged her shoulders. 

"Hopefully, they kept their word, and there are fresh veggies. I don't eat a lot of meat anymore. Well, not like I used to, let's just put it that way." I laughed. 

Sophie looked over at me and started laughing along with me as we walked to our lockers to swap out our books before we went to lunch. Sophie asked what my class was after lunch. I told her I had Marketing with Cole. We swapped out our books, then turned around to walk to lunch and ran into Cole. 

"Where are my favorite ladies going in a hurry?" Cole asked. 

"To lunch," Sophie said.

Cole stepped in between Sophie and me as we started walking toward the cafeteria. We talked about what they might be serving for lunch and whether it would be edible or not. I just prayed they had the fresh veggies like Sophie was talking about. So far, this day was going pretty well. Little did I know that couldn't be farther from the truth. 

Author's Notes:

Rylee is having a hard time overcoming her past. 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.