Chapter 43

We tried inviting Cole and Sophie to the house with us to watch a movie, but they had already made plans to go to the movies. I hugged them and told them I'd text them tomorrow and maybe we could meet for coffee. I felt like a bad friend because I hadn't spent much time with them. Austin must have known something was bothering me on the way back to Sadie's because he asked me a couple of times if everything was all right, even though I told him I was okay. When we returned to her house, Sadie's parents were in the family room. They graciously let us have the family room while they moved to the living room to finish watching their movie. Her house was like mine inside to the point I looked in the living room expecting to see my father in there even though I knew he wasn't there. Austin took my hand and squeezed it lightly, letting me know that everything was fine. I moved closer to him, letting the smell of his cologne calm my nerves. Sadie's mom, Jennifer, returned to the kitchen and started getting snacks from the pantry for us. Sadie got up and walked into the kitchen to get drinks for all of us, and I couldn't help but watch her as she stood there next to her mom, who looked like her, except that her hair was quite a bit longer. They talked and laughed; her mom brushed a piece of hair away from Sadie's face. I felt jealous...jealous that she had two loving parents while I had to live with a father who hit me for no reason most of the time. Finally, her mother said she was going back to the living room and told us the boys could stay until midnight but no later. I went and helped Sadie with the drinks and asked the guys if they wanted any of the snacks yet. 

"You're lucky, Sadie," I whispered, grabbing two glasses for Austin and me. Sadie was an only child, just her and her parents in this big house. I thought about what things would be like if I didn't have Jules, and I closed my eyes tight, trying to get the awful images out of my head. Jules was my sanity, best friend, and only connection to our mom. I couldn't lose her and would never let anyone tear us apart, either. 

Midnight came fast, and it was time for the guys to leave. Austin promised that he would text me the minute he got home and that he'd see me tomorrow around eleven. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into his chest. "I wish you didn't have to go," I whispered, turning my head and inhaling his cologne. 

"I know, but I'll be back in the morning. We'll go get coffee with Cole and Sophie if you want." He squeezed me a little tighter. He lifted my head with his thumb and finger, lowering his mouth closer to mine. His lips were warm and soft on mine. "I've got to go take Logan home. I'll see you in the morning." He kissed me on the forehead. 

"Bye." I waved, turning to go back into the house with Sadie. We stood there at the door and watched them drive away. Sadie asked if I'd help her clean up the mess in the family room before we went to bed. I took off down the hall, gazing at the family pictures along the way. There were so many pictures of Sadie with her parents on the beach, in front of places I'd only read about in books like the Eiffel Tower in Italy, and one had Big Ben in the background. I was envious because these were places that I'd never seen in my lifetime. 

"What...Oh, you're looking at vacation pictures," Sadie said as if everyone had been to these places. "Dad gets a nice bonus around summertime." She turned and kept walking into the kitchen. 

I backed away from the pictures, unable to take my eyes off them, and slowly strolled down the hall to the kitchen. Walking around the counter to the sink, Sadie had a handful of glasses. She asked if I could grab the chips from the coffee table and put them back in the pantry. Then, she started cleaning the glasses and stacking them in the drainer to dry. We picked up the decorative pillows off the floor and placed them back on the couch and loveseat; Sadie looked around and shook her head. Everything looked great. She turned off the lights, then we headed upstairs to her room to get ready for bed. 

"Thanks for letting me stay the night, Sadie." 

"No problem. I couldn't stand the thought of you being home alone. Do you need some ice for your eye or lip?" She asked, pointing to her eye. 

"No, I forgot all about them, actually. I wonder how they look." I grabbed a makeup wipe and started to take it off gently. "Will you be able to hide this in the morning?" I turned around. 

Sadie's eyes widened as she stared at my lip and eye. "Oh, my god, Rylee. You need to tell someone." She walked over and wrapped her arms around me. "I'll try my best to cover up the bruises. Are you okay with the left side of the bed?" She let go of me and walked over to her bed, covered in a lavender comforter and pillows. 

"Yeah." I turned back around toward the mirror, looking at the huge purplish bruises around my eye and lip. I turned my head from side to side, searching for the girl I used to know instead of this girl with bruises staring back at me. Maybe everyone was right about telling someone about the beatings, but I've seen it in the movies where it never ends well for the kids. The state comes in and splits the siblings up, sending them to different foster homes because most people don't want to take both kids. I would never leave my sister behind with that monster. I would rather take the beatings and keep us together than be apart from my sister. She's the only family I have left. 

I grabbed a tissue from the box at the end of her vanity and gently dabbed the corner of my eye, then dabbed my good eye. Finally, I got up, walked to the left side of the bed, and crawled under the sheet and comforter. Sadie turned off the light, and I grabbed my phone on the nightstand, checking to see if Austin had texted me. He texted a few minutes ago, telling me he had just gotten home and was going to bed. I set my phone back down and rolled toward the wall, hoping sleep would soon follow. 

Author's Notes:

Rylee needs to tell someone about her father. 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.